1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Little help!! Zon, Spector and bad GAS. Input appreciated.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by benthughes, May 31, 2007.

1. Here's the deal. I've got $2400 and a bad case of gas and lack the ability to test drive the bass I want. Here's what I'm looking at.

1) Spector USA bolt-on. Mahogany body with a buckeye burl top. EMG soapbars and Aguilar OBP-3 preamp

2) Used Zon Legacy Elite 5 er

3) I've also consideres a Euro NT 4 string and a Zon sonus special. 2 for 1 roughly.

I've got the following basses. Spector Euro NT 5 with EMG BTS preamp, Fender P/J with basslines, Zon sonus studio and a G&L L-2500. I'm looking for a bass with good attack and articulation that would be a little different flavor than what I've got. I like the general overall tone of the basses I've got, I just want a variation of that flavor.

2. Bueller??

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Zon.

4. I dig the Spector a little more in this case. Had it been a fretless competition, I'd go with Zon.

5. ooh....50/50. Thanks guys

6. Both basses kick ass, but I love Zon so I throw my love that way! As for which one, I think the Sonus Specials are real nice basses, but the Legacy looks tight - as you are looking for something different and already have a Sonus I say Legacy!

7. i would go for the legacy aswell.

8. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    Zon, hands down.

9. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Even though i have a Zon and love it to bits, i'd go with the Spector on this one. The Sonus Studio, to me, is a really nice Zon, so you can use the money to upgrade the "Spector" side of your stable.

10. ZON!

11. I'm almost sold, keep it up!! I do loves me that Zon. I've never used my Zon for hard rock/aggressive music. Would it do the trick? I've seen other cheaper Spectors I've liked but I hate the sounds of the tonepump preamp.

12. Pietzsa

Pietzsa Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Orange, Texas
    Well being the owner of that exact Spector with a buckeye burl top, mahogany body, and the JH pickup combo I'd say SPECTOR.

What I love about the Spector is it has the HB switch which makes it extremely aggresive sounding or can be left in single coil mode to sound like a high quality jazz. The buckeye burl ain't to shabby to look at either. It has a 5 string neck that I find very player friendly, especially if this is your first 5 string.

Factor in that Spector has phenomenal customer service and that bass can be had for around 2 G's with a case. I've played a few zons and have always been impressed with their fretless basses but not so much with their fretted. My NSJH5 has no dead spots and excellant fretwork also. My 2 cents.

13. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I use my sonus sp and modulus q5 for rock/metal as my main basses. The zon works very well! :bassist:

14. jtlee

jtlee Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Zon! I play rock/hardcore/metal stuff and the Zon cuts through distortion like nothing (the note articulation is amazing). Spectors are great for rock too, but I've never tried a Spector neck that I like as much as a Zon.

15. I saw a Zon Sonus special that caught my eye. This would provide a nice aggressive but hifi sound. I also saw a Spector Euro 4 that I was thinking of gutting and throwing in one of those ACG filter preamps. I could actually buy both basses for under what I'd pay for the Legacy...the preamp would come after the poor house.

1) I'm afraid that the Spector, while beautiful, would cover territory already covered by my Spector Euro with the TW in the bridge.

2)I've always wanted a Zon Legacy. Would I just be wasting money on those other basses that in the end probably will just not quite be "the one"??

This is an "in your experience" question mostly.

16. RonC72

RonC72

Apr 18, 2007
    Weert, Netherlands
    ZON

17. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Spector :bassist:

18. Doug Lunn used his fretted and fretless Zons on Mike Keneally's first two albums, and they certainly rocked the house!

However, I'm going Spector on this one. That's a beauty of a bass, and if any is made for aggressive music, it's a Spector.

At this level of instrument, then simply install a preamp of your choice. That one fairly small issue shouldn't be the deciding point, IMO.

19. I'm gonna do it. The Spector takes a back burner for now. I'll go for a Euro 4 down the road I think.

As for the Zon Legacy. It's a 1989 that has recently been refinished with an electronics upgrade by Zon. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend but.... It's my dream bass really and I don't think I'd be happy going any other way.

20. Congratulations! I hope you dig it. But really, I am not sure you could have made a bad decision, especially for aggressive music; both brands sound awesome in that context!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021