Little help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FightinIrish, Apr 10, 2002.

1. FightinIrish

Apr 10, 2002
    Been playing bass about 8 or so months now. I have an Ibanez SR405...what kind of effects should I get to make it sound deeper and more jazzy(for some songs)? Any help appreciated.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

What do you think of as "deeper"???

If you mean notes too low to normally reach, as Bigfeet says, an octaver basically plays a note an octave below the one you're playing (depending on the unit, you can vary how far above/below).

If you mean your sound just doesn't have big bull cahones, replacement pickups will change your sound more dramatically than anything else.

In other words, if you have a crappy sound to begin with, an effects unit just gives you a trippier crappy sound.
  3. FightinIrish

Apr 10, 2002
    The sound right now is pretty decent, so it doesnt sound crappy whatsoever.
    Hmmm...whats some other effects that I could possibly use to make the sound on my bass not sound better, but different and funkier and stuff...Im kinda out of it right now, been up for 16 hours.
  4. Well you may also want to try a:
    Sub bass sythesizer.
    Pitch shifter.
    Aural enhancer.
    Sonic maximizer.
    Pair of fifteen inch speakers.
  5. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Since you've only been playing for 8 months, I'd say you should allow some time for your natural tone to develop before you spend money on effects. As you continue to play, you will notice that your technique will improve, and along with it your tone. It takes a while for the calluses to develop deeply on your fingertips. So for what its worth, I suggest you work on your technique. Effects, in my opinion, should be used to add spice to your performance, not as a crutch for more desirable tone. FYI, I have more effects in my rig than my guitar player does, but I try not to let that get in my way! ;-)