1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Little Kids Rock Fundraiser @ Prysm - 2/27/2020

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by 3bc, Feb 10, 2021.

1. 3bc

3bc Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Chicago Burbs
    I'm a year late almost posting this. Probably not a lot of gig reports the last year from many folks so maybe this will be a nice change.

I'm on the board for a group called Little Kids Rock (you may see the name next time you order something from Sweetwater, they are a great partner and ask for donations on our behalf during check out) serving the Chicagoland area. Each year we host a fundraiser to help meet our goals of bringing in new, underserved Chicago Public Schools into the program to give kids an opportunity to experience the gift of music education that the schools otherwise don't have the funding for. We currently serve almost 40,000 kids in Chicago which is just incredible. Curriculum, instruments, etc. The pandemic has made what we do incredibly challenging. But we are still working, getting kids DAW software on their school issued computers so they can still learn and make music without the benefit of a guitar in their hands and one on one/live group instruction which really can't happen right now.

Last year's event was staring the pandemic right in the face, but we managed to pull it off anyhow, and got about 350 people out to a concert/fundraiser and raised about $125,000 for the Chicago area program.

I played bass in the "board band" with other members that serve on the charity's board. We were also lucky enough to have two Little Kids Rock middle school bands perform as well. And donating their time were a few special guests. First, Jim Peterik of Survivor and "Eye of the Tiger" / Ides of March "Vehicle" fame. Jim is a really friendly, class act guy, and still looks every bit the part of an old school rock star, as you can see. He also still can really play and sing, and did a few songs with the kids, which was fantastic.

Another great guest we were able to bring on stage was Isaiah Sharkey. Sharkey maybe does not get the recognition he deserves, but he is a MONSTER guitar player, playing lead guitar for Jon Mayer (scary when you are there to pick up the slack for our generation's Eric Clapton) and many others, having won a grammy for his guitar work with D'Angelo. Sharkey has been a great supporter of the organization (as has Jim) and has sat down jamming with our "board band" for hours, just shooting the poopie, playing old Freddie King, Hendrix, Steeley Dan songs, etc.

There definitely seemed to be a little something in the air that night, as the impending COVID pandemic, which I think at the time we all saw coming, with a little concern, seemed right around the corner. I don't think any of us had any thought as to how crazy things were about to become.

The day after this concert, I went to Captiva with the family for vacation, coming back on Friday, 3/13, the day the whole country basically went into lock down.

I literally haven't been to the office since last February. Still hard to believe how crazy things have gotten, and how much I miss live music, and humanity as I knew it. I'm one of the fortunate ones to be able to work from home and have everything I'd ever need delivered to my house. But I can't wait to get vaccinated and get back to normal life and playing some music with my friends now and then.

Cheers! 49627013757_629b4b3c67_k.jpg 49627104552_df743bd31d_k.jpg 49626280493_ef361d41e9_k.jpg 49626265523_759c5c8c4d_k.jpg 49627013757_629b4b3c67_k.jpg 49627104552_df743bd31d_k.jpg 49626280493_ef361d41e9_k.jpg 49626265523_759c5c8c4d_k.jpg 49626256313_81530d4592_k.jpg 49627032687_0f18cbe0f3_k.jpg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi @3bc,

Great work! Fun stuff. You're a good man to do this for the kids. I'm sure you're changing a lot of lives, and will change more when this madness is over.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

biguglyman likes this.
  3. This is great! Better late than never. Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing.

McG likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021