1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Little Mark EQs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chrisk-K, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Although I'm happy with my TC BH550, I'm interested in buying a Little Mark just for the sake of variety. According to Markbass, the bass knob controls 40 Hz and the treble knob controls 10 KHz. I could be wrong, but to me 40 Hz seems too low and 10 KHz seems too high. Do Little Mark owners find the bass and treble knobs useful?

Zbysek likes this.
  2. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Yeah, they're useful. But I agree that 40 Hz is lower than I need. 60 Hz would suit me. 10K Hz is ok, but suits a more modern style than old school. I also wish the low mid center was lower than 360 Hz, say maybe 250. I forget what the high mid frequency is centered around, but I make good use of it.

All that having been said, though, my LMIII head sounds REALLY good, even with all the knobs at noon (filters off). I usually run with the VLE filter at around 10:00 or noon, mainly to quell some clack from my fingernails. If I use the VPF filter at all it is very low, but it's usually off.

Make no mistake, a LMII or LMIII head sounds good, IMO.

AlexanderB, Kaplan, Al Kraft and 4 others like this.
  3. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Have you found the Markbass owners info on line? There are charts available which show the effects of the tione control. There's a reasonable overlap between the 4 tone controls. I'm not the best person to help though, because I keep my amp pretty flat.

4. Yeah, they’re weird frequencies. I never felt like they were good places to boost, only cut. Someone found that if you cut a little on the bottom two frequencies and a lot on the top two, you end up with a relative low mid boost.

The VLE is great through, and makes the treble even more useless IMO because the VLE does exactly what I would want to do with the treble.

StyleOverShow and Zbysek like this.
  5. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    I own the F500 and it's the only one which allows a frequency change on Bass Treble and midrange. It was one of the best Markbass heads on the market. I probably won't ever get rid of it!

Zbysek and PotsdamBass8 like this.
  6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I rarely, if ever, used the 4 band EQ on the LM II or F1 I had, only the VLE and VPF. On occasion I might boost the bass control a tad; to me, 40Hz is just fine, it's the 10K treble that was useless.

AlexanderB and Zbysek like this.
  7. As said above, the EQ controls frequency ranges are quite broad and are much more musical than you'd expect. The EQ graphs shows this better than the single stated frequencies. The high EQ works well for me, so we're all different. You'll just have to have a go and make your own mind up (not so helpful advice but it's always true/the best way).

AlexanderB, knumbskull and Zbysek like this.
  8. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    They are. Although I am a happy owner of LM III (older version made in 2010), I wish the low knob freq was set higher (60-100Hz) and the treble knob freq lower (3-5 kHZ).

Having said that, I find the bass knob useful.

On the other hand, the usefullness of the treble knob depends on the cabinet. On some cabinets (especially the one with no horns/tweeters) the knob will have no effect whatsoever.

The thing with Markbass heads is that they sound very nice without knob-fiddling. So I usually leave the EQ flat (at noon), sometimes I bost low mids a little (1PM).

Have a look at the Marcus Miller's signature heads ("Little Marcus"). The 5 band EQ has better EQ points, IMO (65Hz, 180Hz, 500Hz, 1.4 kHZ, 3.8 kHZ).

MARKBASS | Products | Little Marcus

Kaplan, knumbskull and Low Class like this.
  9. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I never got on with the eq centres on my old LMII. Like you, I found the bass control too low, but also the low-mid too high. Never had an issue with the high mid and rarely touched the treble. Yes, I know there are tricks to using the eq with the filters to bring out low mids, but it just didn't suit me.

I know use a Carvin BX700 which has more eq options that you could wish for, including two parametric mids and a sensibly voiced bass control (50hz, I believe), not to mention the contour (mid scoop) and 10 band graphic....phew.

kpc likes this.
  10. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Zbysek likes this.
  11. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    No experience with Mark Bass but I have a ToneHammer 500 where the Bass is set at 40. I find it quite useful. I run into a radial pre with a HPF set at 80 and then use the TH Bass to fill in the bottom end. The Radial's Bass is set much higher and it is quite useful to have the different options.

12. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    that was my beef with my LMII as well, but in real life it sounds just fine - maybe because I find it needs minimal (if any) EQ tweaking in most situations.

AlexanderB and Zbysek like this.
  13. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Exactly

knumbskull likes this.
  14. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    Same story with my great-sounding F1: I barely ever use any EQ at all, but don’t have any complaints. I do use the VLE in moderation, though. It’s been an excellent amp.

kpc, Zbysek and knumbskull like this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    40 hz has been a standard EQ point on Ampeg amps since at least the SVT, and while it sounds like it would be too low on paper, it's extremely useful because it affects far more than just the 40 hz point. These EQ points are only the centers, and they affect a wide and varying range of frequencies above and below.

16. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Same here. In print I don't care for those EQ points. In fact, with a variety of bands, cabs, rooms and genres, they work great.

Someone above said they're better frequencies for cutting than boosting. It's always better to cut than to boost however for me they've always been great even when boosting, and the need to use them is minimal. With the interaction of the EQ plus the VLE and VLF, it's super easy to dial in a great sound on the several MB amps I use.

The new Marcus Miller line has different EQ points, which some might prefer.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    AlexanderB, Al Kraft and Zbysek like this.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    To me, that rule about cutting being better than boosting is for PA and not so much for dialing in a sound with your instrument. If it sounds better to me to boost than cut, I'll boost every single time and do so unapologetically :D I literally do not care where the knobs end up as long as I get the sound I want.

18. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Yeah, whatever works.

The rule is good if you're running out of headroom, fighting a wolf tone, or boosting too much noise.

19. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I think common sense should play a role in these considerations... I know some players who would boost almost all frequencies in order to get rid of one frequency (for example, they would boost lows, low mids and highs in order to get rid of the high mids).

Al Kraft and JimmyM like this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    If it works...

Zbysek likes this.