1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Little Mark II and Aguilar GS 112 Distortion Issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by daveinbrooklyn, Sep 26, 2008.

1. I just bought a Little Mark II from Guitar Center today and plugged my passive Fender P into it and my 2 Aguilar GS 112s. The tone is fine when I play (fingerstyle) lightly but as soon as I use a strong attack, I'm hearing lots of distortion. At first I thought it was vibrations in the room and from one cab to another so I put one cab in another room and played the head through just a single cab, but I'm still hearing the distortion. Ugh.

I have the eq set flat and the two filters completely off. Gain is set to 10 o'clock and volume around 1. These aren't loud settings. And the clipping light is not lighting up.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Like I said, the tone is nice and clean with a light attack, and I've played my GS 112s through an Ampeg B2R with no distortion issues, so I don't believe it's the speakers.

2. back off on the gain and up the master???

3. The gain is set pretty low as it is. Is it typical depending on the bass being played to have to set the gain that low with a LMII? I feel like if I'm that limited gain-wise, I won't be getting the volume I need from the amp to cut through in my band.

4. rok51

rok51 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Actually, with my G&Ls, I run the gain lower than that to avoid the 'blue light special' when I dig in. Some amps don't mind a little bit of clipping in the pre gain area...IMHO, the LMII isn't one of them...to me it sounds positively nasty when overdriven at the input. That said, I use the identical rig and find that it gets stupid loud, if need be. When setting up for the night I have found it necessary to really dig in and watch the clip light just start to blink...and then turn it down a bit...and I'm good to go. There have been times when I thought I was low enough on the gain...only to turn around mid song and see the little bugger blinkin' at me. Drop the gain, boost the master and all is right again in my world.

Kim

5. To narrow the problem down, see if it distorts with headphones using the headphone jack.

Is the clipping light coming on a lot?

My Gibson Money bass has high output and requires the gain be set at about 9 o'clock.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    There is no headphone jack.

I Would think that unless your bass has a really hot output, there's some other problem here. I run my passive-but-hot Dingwall into mine with the gain above noon without problem. I have no distortion, or other difficulties.

7. Oops, sorry, you're right. I was picturing my U5..

8. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    No clip light? Hmmm....

Can you take your bass and one of your cabs into GC and try a different one? MB seems to have very good quality control, but maybe a bummer slipped through.

I run some pretty hot signals into my LMII, and my gain is usually at 10:00 or 11:00 with no sign of distortion in sight. If I ever set the master at 1:00 it would blow my guitarists off the stage. I'm normally at 10:00 or 11:00 on the master on stage. 9:00 or 10:00 at rehearsal.

-Mark