1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Little Mark ii troubles

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by M Sterling, Sep 25, 2010.

1. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've had my little mark ii for 2-1/2 years and the other night at rehearsal it stopped working. It now makes a static sound with an intermittent pop every now and then. Has anyone heard of this happening or what the problem could be?

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Tech time. I hope you're near one of MBs new service chains.

Paul

3. blen dem

blen dem

Jun 22, 2001
    USA, Vallejo
    This is making me a lil nervous. A buddy of mine had his LMII conk out at a lil after 2 years. Mine is right at that age and I don't have a back up :eek: I agree, it's tech time and wish you all the best. Keep us posted!

4. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    pop the hood and sniff around. (you may have a loose wire on the input jack). i'm sure you tried different cables, cabs, and basses. gl.

5. M Sterling

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I tried everything. I even popped the top to see if there was anything obviously wrong. It is a shame, because I love the sound and haven't had any problems at all until this point. I also spent a decent amount of money on a compressore and a super synth. I'm just hoping this isn't a trend of their stuff breaking shortly after the warranty has expired. I will keep you guys posted as I move forward.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    have you tried cleaning the effect loop jacks with contact cleaner? if you don't use them, they can sometimes corrode and cause static.

7. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    My LMII had the same symptoms and this worked for me.
    Try plugging a short patch cable from the effects Send to the effects Return. As Jimmy said sometimes if those jacks aren't used for a while they develope a kind of oxidation on the contacts and it'll act like an open circuit. Plugging the patch cable in closes the loop.
    This is just a quick way to diagnose the problem. If the amp works with the patch cable in place you'll know the contacts need to be cleaned at some point. Until then, you can just leave that patch cable in place and play it like that.
    I hope this helps.
    B.

8. M Sterling

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks guys. I will try this when I get home from work tonight. I do use the effects loop sometimes, but not in awhile. I'll let you know what happens.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021