Little Mark II with ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by marty5, Feb 14, 2009.

1. marty5

marty5

Feb 14, 2009
    i am looking at getting a little mark II soon, possibly this weekend. i went and played one at guitar center through a couple of mark bass cabs, a 4x10 and a 2x12. but wasn't very impressed with them. so i was wondering if anyone had some suggestions about any cabs that you think match up well with the little mark two. im looking at spending anywhere from $500-$700. ive got a made in mexico 60's reissue fender jazz, getting lindy fralin split jazz pickups soon. any help is much appreciated, thanks.

2. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Cort, Traynor
    I have a Drbass 112 and 115lf; killer with LMII and pbass.

3. tidnab

tidnab

Jan 21, 2009
    Simi Valley, CA
    A few comments
    1: I picked up an LM2 new in box from GC for 450(+tax)... (something to keep in mind)
    2: When I went around listening to different cabs... I liked them all for different reasons... I ended up getting 2 a: Aguilar GS210 which is a great sounding warm cab that is plenty loud... and a Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 4x10 which is as clean as can be... If there had been a good deal on one at the time I woulda purchased an Epiphani UL310...

Unfortunately these cabs are what I personally liked... I tried GK,Hartke,EA,Epiph,Mesa,Carvin,MB,Benz... the only ones I didn't get to try that I wanted to were the Bergantino's.....

So, do yourself a favor, pickup the LM... and take it around and try it with different cabs... Unfortunately GC doesn't always have the best selection...

good luck...

4. sido

sido

Jul 11, 2008
    I'm running my LMII through one aguilar gs112. Sounds very good. Describe as smooth, centered in lower mid range. Not aggressive. I have run various GK heads through the same cab and had typical (typically good, that is) GK sound, more modern, midrange and higher voiced, further throw. I like the LM-Aguilar combination and recommend it for jazz and blues players, and country. Rockers might want two cabs to get more sound out of it. Just my opinion.

5. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Any of the berg cabs are nice AE210 or AE112 or the HT112ER would be very nice...and I believe in the price range.

6. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I agree the MB cabs lack in impressiveness when trying out at GC.
    What are your tone goals? That would help tremendously. I come from an SWR background. My old rig was the 350 head with a Goliath Jr III atop the Son of Bertha. I loved the depth of field when running the Jr III alone, and the meaty bottom of the SOB. The Jr III alone best suited me for practice and smaller scale gigs such as the cafe's and worship gigs I was doing at the time. The SOB worked perfectly for rehearsals with the jam band I was in at the time, and both cabs stacked was bliss for gigs with the band. The only thing lacking was clean headroom from the 350 head...which the LMII makes up for in spades.
    I ended up with a Bergantino 1x12" cab for my LMII. To my ears, it's what SWR wishes it was. :D
    SO... are you from an Ampeg background, SWR background, Eden, Trace, GK, Hartke or Acoustic background? Let us know. That'll help narrow down your search with all the choices available...and a LOT of garbage to sort thru.

7. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    A number of posters on this forum have said that the MB cabs do not audition well in the music store but sound great on stage. Just a thought.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Epifani IME/IMO

9. jkdahlman

jkdahlman Ambitious But Rubbish

Jul 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    ^^^^ The Epifani cabs are sick with the LM II. I've been running an Epi 110+112 stack for the last couple of years and that covers every gig from a duo to a 22 piece big band with ease. Now, if I was going shopping tomorrow, I'd call Jong at Jive Sound and get an Epi 310. Quite possibly the best cab I''ve ever heard for general use.

10. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    A lot of Schroeder owners use MB heads with them, check out the Schroeder Club Thread for more details and opinions. As a general rule Schroes don't sound great at home, but kick major ass live, which is what they're designed to do.

11. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

Aug 14, 2008
    Aguilar GS212 - 4 ohm sounds great with the LMII

12. Plus one for the Schroeders, though mine sounds awfully good at home too....

13. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    Another +1 for Schroeder. My LMII sounds great through one or two Mini 12L's

14. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    SWR's are very nice with the LMII. So are my Bergs. I'd say the LMII is one of the easyest heads to mix-match.

15. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Hey AJ I need to check out that combo over at your place.

I hearing good things about Schroeders and folks that like the Berg AE 10s (which I love) very punchy... I cannot always take AE 410 all the time and sometimes my acme is just to nice (not punchy enough) although sounds sweet with a 6 string fretless.

:bag:

16. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Based on what Marty5 is saying I'm guessing He has to move lots of air.
    (based on the bigger cabs He is going through). I'm guessug He needs more speaker. So the Epi and Berg options of equivalent size is going to put him out of that price range.

The Schroder 1212 is a just a little over 700 so you might see one used that puts you back into that range.

However if you can't then let and need to move some air that Carvin is actually a very good 4 10 I was very impressed when I heard them out at the factory.

Some to think about.

17. Volt

Volt

Jan 3, 2009
    Indy
    +1 for the Aguilar GS212 (4ohm) with the LMII

I'd say if you put the LMII with just about any good quality cabinet(s), your going to be able to dial in a sound that makes you happy. (unless your a "perfect tone" chaser):bag:

My choice was pretty obvious as I got a good deal on a used Aggie, but If money was no object I would have gone with the Bergantino NV cabs.

18. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    Another happy LMII/Aguilar GS210 marriage here. Wish there was a lighter option.

19. marty5

marty5

Feb 14, 2009
    wow, thank you all. my LMII is in the mail. your input has been VERY helpful. ill be out finding a cab very soon. thank you

20. willyrep

willyrep

Mar 4, 2008
    New Orleans
    Epifani. Or Avatar if you want the most "bang for the buck".

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021