Little Mark or Shuttle 6.0, + vt pedal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Let It Fall, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Inactive

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I'm looking to get an amp tomorrow as my orange has two downfalls.

1 it doesn't do the svt sound (I bought it to compare)
    2 tired of lugging it back and forth to practice.

Though I may get an svt one day right now I'm looking for something close but light.

I owned a lmii and loved the tone.
    Tried a shuttle 6.0 and also lobed the tone but I really loved the parametric eq, similar to the svt.

However I did have problems with my lmii shutting offfor no reason.

Which would you guys reccomend?

Il be running a vt pedal infront either

2. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I was hoping to see some responses. I have the Shuttle and it has never let me down. I'm planning on getting either or both of the VT and British pedals and getting them to Mike Putnam (see http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=605642&goto=newpost) to do his DI mods to. I'm thinking (more dreaming, actually) that I'll have them on an A/B switch so I'd have my preamp(s) at my feet and power amp (the Shuttle) as backline.

Not that I'm sure I need it, actually. I like the Shuttle as is. It's always been good to me, but given the comparisons I've seen, I think I would put the Shuttle in the "more polite" category. It's always been good to me and after almost two years I have absolutely no buyer's remorse. I think the power section would work well with the Tech 21 Character pedals. But there are more aggressive micro amps on the market.

I guess I'm not trying to talk you into or out of the Shuttle. I love mine. I don't think you'd make a mistake in getting it. I'm disappointed that your LM II didn't work out because I hold that amp in high esteem, despite having never tried one. I think given your goals that the LM's have a getter chance of accomplishing your goals. But that didn't work for you. The Shuttle works for me, but I can't say that it would work any better for you.

Aaaaccckkk! Sorry good luck! I own a Shuttle. I like my Shuttle. I am thinking of playing with a Tech 21 Character pedal or two as the front and for a little variety. I can offer no better insight.

KO

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Both great amps.

Personally I give the edge to the Little Mark because:

1. Its louder

2. Its warmer

3. Love the VLE

4. Damn good tone with everything flat and the VLE at 9:00

5. More natural low end without having to eq it in.

The shuttle can sound VERY nice, but I found that when I owned one, I had to cut mids to get the tone which means an overall volume loss.

The two pros of the shuttle

1. excellent CS, really second to none
    2. Mute switch

I use a VT Bass with my LMII and really like the results... very full and warm sounding. Everytime I GAS for other amps, and believe me I do, after I play thru the my LMII + VT the GAS goes away.

4. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Inactive

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Need more oppinions Im getting a head today!

I feel I may use the extra knobs on the lmii but prefer the parametric eq.

5. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    ^This.

I love my LMIII. I haven't owned it for a long time or anything, but it feels like a well-constructed piece...let's hope that lasts! I think that the only thing I want for it is the MB Compressore pedal, just to compress a little bit of my harder attacked notes. Otherwise I'm all for it. I love it because it's a straightforward, no nonsense, great sounding amp that's versatile as heck!

I did look at the Shuttle when I was making my purchase, but I saw so much positive feedback for Markbass around here that I bought the LMIII without playing on a Shuttle. So my opinion is rather biased. :smug:

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Is your intent to use the VT as the primary source of tone shaping? If it is, why not just get a power amp and save some coin?

7. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Inactive

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    well i got a shuttle 6.0
    It was only 500$

Only regrets are that the lm had a 1/4 jack..

8. Jaycephas

Jaycephas Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Waxhaw, NC
    I swear by my Shuttle 6.0. I love the para eq for getting the sweet spot when I play my five string basses.

I use the VT into the Shuttle and absolutely love the tone I get. I can use it as an eq or push the Drive and put some SVT hair on the tone.

IMHO, a super lightweight preamp/amp combo. Try it with a pair of Aggy GS112...yes!

9. I think you might get more responses if you told us more about what your goals are. What music do you play, what bass, what strings, what is your style preference, etc. Too many unknowns right now to really give you any useful information. TB-er KJung is a great resource for questions like yours. you might PM him. He helped me a lot when I was in the market to upgrade my rig last year.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    honestly, if you use a vt, it really doesn't matter what you get.

11. mhduffl

mhduffl

Nov 27, 2008
    Hong Kong
    1 comment:

The Shutte can used as power amp with effect return, so pluging VT as preamp into effect return of shutle could be different from plugging VT in front.

Let us know if you have tried this.

But the LMII/LMIII/LMT have the effect return before EQ, that means it can't be a power amp.

Thanks and enjoy
    Man-Ho

12. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The little mark amps are basically flat with the eq set at noon and the filters off, so I wouldn't hesitate to just plug the VT right in :)

13. Hi,

Kind of a long story but I like to offer my experience:

A little over a year ago, I finally decided to get a new amp. I figured I had to spend around $1,500 - $2,000 to get what I needed. I was in love with the SVT tone but worried about their recent quality. The good folks here at Talkbass recommended Genz Benz. I tried it, loved it and got the 9.0 and the NeoX 212T cab. Then I thought i'd be missing the SVT sound so again after reading lots of posts here, I got the VT pedal. The funny thing is that now, with the bands I play with I don't need the SVT sound but if I do, I can dial it in no problem and I have no reliability worries because GB products are so reliable. If I want to just take the Shuttle head, it's super portable and it's EQ on it's own is great plus it has a great built in DI that works great when recording.

FWIW I tried MB but side but side with the shuttle, IMHO it was no match.

Hope this helps!

14. Had my LMII for a while(yrs) now & am STILL as impressed w/ it as I was when I got it. Sure it aint no 300w tube beast, but it'll do most of what I need & as said- the VLE is great as is the VPF when used sparingly. The EQ is poweful too if needed

15. Overdrive777

Overdrive777

May 29, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa/Boogie
    Good idea!
    What would be best? To run the VT through the effect return or the aux in so I could use the Shuttle pre as a second channel with an A/B box?

16. mhduffl

mhduffl

Nov 27, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Yes.

Use a A/B box plugging bass in input-
    output 1 into shuttle 6 input = normal shuttle pre and power
    output 2 into VT into effect return of shuttle = VT pre and shuttle power

It should be the true A/B test betwwen the sound of VT and shuttle preamp.

Have anyone tried???

Man-Ho:smug:

17. Overdrive777

Overdrive777

May 29, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa/Boogie
    Wouldn't running through the effect return cut off the preamp sound?

18. mhduffl

mhduffl

Nov 27, 2008
    Hong Kong
    If using an A/B box, selecting one channel killing another, so in this case, the two input won't have signal at the same time.

19. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    Cant speak for the LM.. but I really dig my Shuttle.. and I get a great tone from mine.. I am still experimenting though... I like the mute switch as well.. a big plus for me.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021