1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Little Mark Tube 800 Impedance?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ConnorStinehart, Jan 15, 2012.

1. ConnorStinehart

ConnorStinehart

Jan 15, 2012
    St. Louis
    So I own LM Tube 800 amp and want to pair it with a Markbass 4x10 cab (they come in both 4 ohm and 8 ohm). The Impedance specs on the head are confusing me, though. It says, "500W RMS @ 8 ohms, 800W RMS @ 4 ohms." Which cab should I get, given that the 4 ohm cab is less expensive?

2. I would recommend getting an 8 ohm cabinet, that way you could expand your speakers later on and have a 4 ohm rig, whereas if you got the 4 ohm cab you would have to get two other 8 ohm cabs later on. Although if you're not too keen on the notion of having two 8 ohm cabs, there's nothing wrong with just saving the cash right now and getting the 4 ohm one.

3. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    +1

4. +2

5. ConnorStinehart

ConnorStinehart

Jan 15, 2012
    St. Louis
    Ok, thanks! That helps a lot!

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

If you know you will never use more than that 410, then it would be 4ohm all the way. The volume increase will be minimal, but you will notice a more open low end, and the amp will be less likely to hit limiting on peaks (like when you dig it or slap).

If, on the other hand, you play in a stupid loud situation and will need an additional cab on occasion, 8ohm will be fine.

It is all about planning and kind of knowing what you need. For example, in my case, I would never, ever need more than a single 212 or 410 for any gig that I would ever do, so 4ohm is kind of a no brainer, and that smidge of extra volume, and especially headroom and non-compressed low end is basically 'free'.