1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Little Mark Tube

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PocketTrio, Mar 22, 2009.

1. PocketTrio

PocketTrio

Feb 28, 2009
    I know people have probably asked this already but,
    when are the new Markbass products due?
    Primarily the tube comp and the little mark tube on my part...

2. Peter Murray

Peter Murray Commercial User

Dec 13, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Artist Relations and Social Media Manager, Pigtronix and Supro
    They go into production in April, and also start shipping in April, but when they are available to you depends on where you live, order schedules, shipping schedules, stock allocation, etc. The general window I would say is late spring/early summer.

3. CodaPDX

CodaPDX

Feb 2, 2009
    Does the Little Mark Tube have the same bi-band limiter as the LMIII?

4. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    >Does the Little Mark Tube have the same bi-band limiter as the LMIII?<

Coda, I didn't know the LMIII had it. I read a review by some owner of the MarkBass F1 (which definitely has the 2 band comp.) and he couldn't take it -- he said it choked his sound at high volume. He sold the F1. That scares me a bit. And it's the kind of thing you can't really test for yourself in a music store (cuz they don't like it when you thump on the E string with the Master on 10).

Peter

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I can't ever imagine needing to push the master to 10...ever. That would be painfully loud.

It sounds to me that the owner of the review needed a more powerful Markbass amp, that's all. Any 500 watt amp can only go so far.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, I've never even come close to hitting the limiter on my LMII. It's such a total non-issue for me. Peter Murray said the new amps do have a different limiter, though. Couldn't tell you any of the particulars. All I can tell you is that if you hit the limiter, you've got to be insanely loud.

7. :confused: The original MB models have a standard power amp limiter like virtually every solid state amp. If you run the amps as designed at 4ohms you will almost never run up against this limiting (even cranking at huge volumes into a large 410 for example). However, pushing the head at 8ohms very hard can result in some clamping at the hardest transients (like slapping or aggressive pick playing).

This is what the new power amp limiting circuit is designed to eliminate.

It's a zero issue at 4ohms to begin with, and a minor issue at 8. With the new limiting circuit, it should be a zero issue in all contexts!