Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Little Momentos of Why You Love to Perform.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by cassanova, Jan 23, 2005.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I know we all like to be on the stage playing live music. I was sittin here wondering what are some of your favorite aspects are of live performance or little things that just really make you love doing this.

I've seen so many bands that had the music down to a tee, the singer was good, but when they came in on backing vocals it lost something.

One aspect that I really gets me off is when the music is clickin, everyones tight and really on that night, you have the perfect mix, the singers nailing everything, and then everyone comes in with really good backing vocals that fill everything up, just watchin everyone dancing, swaying in the stools and seats, with almost every eye in the house focused on the band.

Those are the moments that remind me why I love doing what I do so much.

2. When we played a battle of the bands, pay-to-play kind of deal, we covered a Rage Against the Machine song to open our set. Needless to say, the crowd loved it, and a group of people even started moshing! Not everybody respects bands they don't know, but it was nice to see they care more about the music than who's playing it. The whole aspect of enjoying a band, especially a cover band, even though you have no idea who they are, is what really does it. My dream is to play music that people will appreciate, and have them become fans of our music.

3. - Something about walking into a club to setup, and taking a whiff of stale smoke and stale beer as soon as you walk through the door.

- Playing at a high profile gig or venue, where the crowd roars the minute you walk onstage, and haven't even played the first note.

- Packing the dance floor with a tune like "Brick House"... even if the guitarist's circuit breaker just blew.

- Not packing the dance floor with a tune like "Josie" that they love anyway.

- Setting the gig money on the table on Saturday night, so wifey can see it first thing in the morning.

:)

4. I love it when I am up there doing my thing, and I look out and I see people singing along and/or dancing. When people are smiling and laughing and singing, they are having a good time, which helps me (and the band) relax and have a good time, which helps the audience have a good time etc etc etc. Money is good, but not everything. True, I would rather get paid than not, but I have played, everyone had a blast, and I walked away with gas money. You gotta be having fun up there. The audience picks up on that, if you aren't having any, neither will they

5. I like it when a sound guy (or girl) who is exhausted and has been there all weekend comes up after we play and tells us we were the band he/she enjoyed the most.

6. Applause-That's it!
    (I'm not saying the money for my G.A.S. doesn't help)

7. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I really enjoy when the crowd gets a little out of control. It makes me feel like the band is causing them to feel emotion. Or it might just be that they are drunk. Either way I enjoy myself most when the band is playing well and I'm getting a great tone which is 8 out of 10 gigs.
    I can't get into it when we are held back for whatever reason.
    Sometimes it's volume issues or someone in the band is sick or we are having a technical problem. At that point I just get into my sound and try to get over the crap.

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I love the rare and valuable moments when the band's groove is so strong, that I RIDE the groove like a surfboard on a wave instead of having to PUSH the groove. When those moments happen, I find myself playing with my eyes closed, almost in a trance - greatest feeling in the world.

I love screams of "wooo!" just as we're starting a set.

I love being flashed with naked breasts.

I love getting hugs by ladies on break that I barely know.

I love watching chicks dirty dance with each other in front of us while we're playing. Who ever invented that is a genius.

I love being approached by total strangers expressing their appreciation of what we're doing.