Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Little part of RHCP's "Around The World"

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by RollingMonkey, Nov 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollingMonkey

RollingMonkey

Nov 11, 2004
    Does anyone know what the hell Flea plays a little while after the second chorus of Around The World at approximately 2:14 (the little run). I've got tabs for this, but I just can't get that sound. What does he do (technique-wise)?

2. i think its just a box pattern, starting on the g (12th fret) pulling off, bending the C (10th fret, 3rd string)

3. RollingMonkey

RollingMonkey

Nov 11, 2004
    But I'm sure I can hear more notes than that. There's about 6 of them.

4. I play this as a triplet
    using three fingers on
    my right hand.
    ................................................../******\
    G:----10-12------9-10---10-12-----12-12-10--------|
    D:--------------------------------------------12-10~|
    A:---------------------------------------------------|
    E:--0--------1-3-------0-------1-3------------------|

I suppose it could be done with a pick..

5. Nah, I listened to it, and it's just a triplet followed by a long note with a little trill at the beginning.

(note: actually in the song they're sixteenth notes the way he plays it, but I like playing it as a triplet)

G:-----10----12------------9---10---
    D:-----------------------------------
    A:-----------------------------------
    E:-3---------------2---3-------------

G:-----10----12---------12-10-----------
    D:-----------------------------12-10~---
    A:---------------------------------------
    E:-3-------------------------------------

For the triplet thing, this is the fingering I use:

------M-I---I--M-----
    G:---12-10-----------
    D:----------12-10~---
    A:--------------------
    E:--------------------

Notice the two index finger notes in the middle there. That's called a rake. That way I can play the riff very fast, and using left hand technique, I can make the notes super staccato just like Flea does.

Of course, he has one of those super growly basses in the song, which is one area in which I'm lacking...

6. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I always thought he played it like this:

Code:
    G:-----10----12-----X-X-12-10-----------
    D:-----------------------------12-10~---
    A:--------------------------------------
    E:-3------------------------------------
    By the way, isn't the note choice in the verses actually like this?

Code:
    G:-----10----12------------9---10----
    D:-----------------------------------
    A:-----------------------------------
    E:-3---------------0---1-------------

7. RollingMonkey

RollingMonkey

Nov 11, 2004
    Well, I'm pretty sure it's like this (I also play what you play on the G string, on the D):

Code:
    G|------------------------|
    D|---15-17------14-15----|
    A|------------------------|
    E|-3--------1-0-----------|

Listen carefully, the F comes first, then the E. It's tough to tell because the notes are so staccato, but I'm pretty sure that's right.

Anyway, as for my problem, Bassline_Delux was right.

8. Juddium

Juddium

May 24, 2004
    watching the video on this one is fun, but they don't show the way he does that lick very well.
    but I'm fairly positive the E comes before the F. I'm not at my own computer where I can watch the video again, but if I recall correctly he goes up the neck when he's playing those lower notes.

9. RollingMonkey

RollingMonkey

Nov 11, 2004
    I'll have a look on the DVD...

10. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    I can't post here untill I learn to show respect for other members. The moderator has had to take time to edit my posts, and I don't want to have to make him waste more time.

lean musical notes, music isnt numbers its 7 notes in the alphabet A B C D E F G Learn some theory so that you know what the other notes are and how to apply it instead of learning tabs.

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    For what it's worth, tucker, music (western music, that is) is twelve notes, not seven. Did you forget about sharps and flats?

12. RollingMonkey

RollingMonkey

Nov 11, 2004
    Tucker, what the hell does your post have to do with my question?

13. Juddium

Juddium

May 24, 2004
    be curious to see what tucker wrote to make the mods pissed

and I'm assuming tucker's ranting at our flagrant use of tabs instead of saying the specific notes

14. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    This is a situation where TAB is the better method because the original question was how to play the part. TAB shows you exactly where to place fingers on the fretboard. How many places on the neck can you play any one particular note?

My goodness!!!!!! There's a place for the TAB versus standard notation argument and this thread is NOT it! Besides, if Tucker actually read all the posts, he would have noticed where actual note names were mentioned ("no the E is before the F") instead of just seeing the TAB and getting himself edited!

15. SIG!

16. Juddium

Juddium

May 24, 2004
    well there's always someone with a bone to pick that feels they must express themselves at every given opportunity

17. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    well i dont feel like explaining myself but heres my apology. Oh yeah i did read all the post and i am very aware that their are twleve notes. notice how i said that were used from the alphabet. i dont think Bb and F# are in the alphabet. but go ahead with you tablature talk. your just limiting yourself if you keep up with it. and theory has everything to do with it.

18. Umm. Dude, I don't see what the big deal is. If you are a bassist, tabs should be easy, as well as knowing the names of the notes or (hopefully) reading sheet music.

There are advantages and disadvantages to these, for example most tabs (unless they're the good ones with marks for rhythm) do not capture rhythm. On the other hand, tabs show where your fingers go and more importantly are much easier to post on a forum than sheet music.

An accomplished bassist should be able to deal with tabs or sheet music well.

To answer the original question, the technique Flea uses is just standard index/middle finger cycling. See my earlier post with the tab for the fingering used for those fast notes.

Also, yes indeed, it is a E and F in those low stacatto notes. I listened to it again carefully, and I was wrong in my transcription. I'll edit it so I don't mislead anyone. :)

19. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Geoff, maybe I didn't express myself well, but I agree completely with what you are saying. My point was that both TAB and standard notation are important tools to a bassist, for the reasons that you stated. :)

As bassists, we should be able to play off whatever is presented to us, be it TAB, standard notation, Nashville chart, fake book,...even "Hey dude, put your finger there and then there!" :rolleyes:

20. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Dear KPJ,
    Have you ever seen a jazz bass player read tablature while playing a gig. Or be told to put his finger there or here. well maybe you need to be told. But your right everyone needs tabs. Have you heard of the saying teach a man how to fish and you can feed him for the rest of his life. Well thats how standard notation is. if you dont get it than you might be able to find tabs on the computer to figure it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.