- Little poll about 5-stringers -

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TribalEagle, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Rockbass Streamer LTD 5BK

13 vote(s)
  2. OLP mm3BK

12 vote(s)
  3. SQUIER Standard P-Bass Special

8 vote(s)
  4. None of stose above.. I`ll tell you a better one:

14 vote(s)
  1. TribalEagle

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland EU
    I have looked for a new bass for some time. I`m allmost down to these three competitors. Can you tell me what would be the one.
    The styles I play come from Metallica and Iron Maiden to Jazzy stuff like Jaco. So I`m mainly a metalplayer.
    I don't have a lot of money to spend, so I have to go cheap. Poor student....:crying:

These are the three:

Rockbass 5-string LTD 379€
    OLP mm3 Stingray copy 300€+ preamp
    Squier P-Bass Special V 255€+preamp

The Rockbass has standart active Eq, but if I go with Squier or OLP I will put High, Low, Blend, Volume config and preamp to them.

You see that they are all "cnock off`s". Which one is closest to the original?
    When you tell your opinnion would you please tell me why you chose that one, soundquality, finish, feel etc.

And please don`t ssay that go and play first and bye that one you played. Tha Squier goes over 400€ in Finland so ordering from net is only reasonable way. Furthermore the Rockbass is only awailable on that steore in net.

Thank you all for participating.

2. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Did you get the info I e-mailed you? If so, what did you think?

FYI, the bass in the reviews is NOT the bass you linked to above.
  3. TribalEagle

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland EU
    No I did not get your mail...
    And I know it`s not the same bass, I just could get it so much cheaper tahn Tony model, even with preamp I would save money....

Sorry my foult... I got it.. just checked the wrong mail (darn I`m stupid)....

The Levin model looks really cool, but price tag goes to 475€..... that is just in the line of "to much"...
    but it still looks very tempting.......... (oh I wish I would have more money to spend)
  4. bassistjo

Jun 22, 2005
    Get a 5 String Jazz Bass
  5. out of the basses you picked, i would get the rockbass.
  6. TribalEagle

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland EU
    "Get a 5 String Jazz Bass" cheapest five jazz MIM goes around 700€+ so that is not an option....
  7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

You might try looking in the used market. I'm not sure what the situation is over there, but there are good deals to be found here in the states (unfortunately, shipping is brutal).

Most of the time, in your price range, it's better to buy used, buy if you have to buy a cheaper bass new, it's REALLY important to play it first, as quality in that price range varies widely from bass to bass. Some Squiers and OLPs are acceptable, others are horrible -- depends on the individual bass. Good luck.
  8. Hemitom

Oct 12, 2005
    Cort GB series 5 string ,Mighty Mite MM @ bridge, Mighty Mite jazz @ neck,2 band push / pull active EQ .Very well finished and nice black hardware for being made in Indonesia but mainly very good playability and a vast array of tones. Musicman to Jazz to Ric like and best of all I paid $350.00 CAD.As mentioned earlier try the models you named first if at all possible before going the hit & miss mail order route.This one has probably just put my ATK300 in the closet! :)
  9. TribalEagle

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland EU
    Do you mean the Cort GB75 Natural? I can get that one at 450€ but is it worth it? I vould get the OLP Tony Levin for the same price.....
  10. TribalEagle

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland EU
    Here comes one "black horse" which I just spotted from Ebay:

Ace Pro Thru Neck Bass Guitar

Nickel hardware
    Grover tuners
    Hard maple neck
    Two way truss rod
    Rosewood 34"
    Walnut line ash body
    JB.MMB.3Band EQ
    BB-204 Bridge

ebay link:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ace-Pro-Thru-Neck-Bass-Guitar-Hi-Quality-4-String_W0QQitemZ7396799366QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I would bye the 5-string version..

The bass looks like a good quality, neckthru, ash body etc.
    Have anyone heard or experienced these basses??
    Can you say anything from the pic...?
  11. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    +1. i play a cort curbow 5 with a bart pup, an it sounds pretty good(not super duper awesome, but good enough)
  12. Hemitom

Oct 12, 2005
    No, mines the Cort GB55 with black hardware.
  13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    For a budget bass, my Squier P Special 5 is amazing. Honestly, as-is I think it's totaly gig worthy. A tuner upgrade and a new set of strings would probably be better than new pickups and a preamp for those on a budget.

I've played a few Rockbasses and didn't like them at all. I've owned a Warwick 5er before and don't like the maple neck on the Rockbass. I've picked a few OLPs up too and put them right back down.

Keep in mind that the neck is W-I-D-E (51 mm (2 in.)) but it's pretty thin front to back so it's totally manageable.

I've since turned my Squier into a fretless and it never ceases to amaze those that play it before they find out how little it cost. Several dedicated fretless playing friends of mine don't even mention "for what it cost" when singing its praises.
  14. TribalEagle

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland EU
    the wide neck is not a broblem... I have relatively big hands and I have played "super-cheap" six stringer for a while and the neck gives no problem (exept the neck dive and it being painted, but thats totally a different story)
    Is the Squier neck natural, smooth finished. The Fender website tells about laquer neck....??
  15. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The (back of the) neck on my Squier has a matte finish, very smooth, not at all sticky like a gloss finish...very nice to play!!!