1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Little trouble with simple stuff.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DumbChild, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Well ive been playing to drum beats lately as ive been invited into a few bands, because my town is bassist free;). But ive come across a problem which i believe is just because im inexperienced and i was wondering if u guys could offer me any advice on it.

So yea im playing 4/4 drum beats, pretty basic, i play my quarter notes perfectly could play the entire song like that. However when i try to play an 8th note or a 16th note i always seem to muck up, or play way off beat. Or in some cases i just play them as a quarter note. Is there a way you can practice playing 8th notes so they actually remain on beat. I play simple roots and basslines by the way, its what the people want though. But i dont even think i can play a bar of 8th notes. I believe its just practice but yea, offer some help if u can. Otherwise u can tell me off for writing such a stupid thread. Doesnt bother me.. thanks dudes and dudets?

2. playing straight lines can be harder than playing funky or melodic stuff, because you're more exposed if the timing is off. When you play 8th or even 16th notes, try concentrating the main 4 beats of the bar, like you were playing quarter notes, and make sure you nail those. Dont worry about the others as much, just make sure you're always hitting the most important accents perfectly, which shouldn't be a problem if you can play quarter notes fine on their own. Practice this slowly to a metronome, as slowly as you need to to get it sounding smooth. When it becomes easy, speed it up a bit, and repeat. Good accenting will not only sound better, it will help you keep the rhythm. good luck :)

3. yea, i mainly have trouble fitting the notes into one beat, sorta evenly. If that makes sense

4. By the way SubGuitar, i listened to Restless on ur myspace, was suprisingly soothing, i liked it.

5. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Is it a speed thing, or something more serious...

Get a metronone (or put a click on drum machine - not a fancy pattern).

Play 1/4's at 120 bpm. You say thats cool?
    So set the tempo to 60bpm and play 8ths.
    Physically it's the same, but now you have to fill in second beat yourself.

One you're good at 60bpm, bump it to 65. Just keep playing until it's spot on at each tempo then move it up one notch until you're back to 120 and beyond.

Ian

6. Oh i see. ill get to it right away

7. lol well that was fun, seem to have picked 8th notes up already. im moving up to 150 now. Just wanted to say thanks again:p

8. Corbow

Corbow

Mar 15, 2005
    Yep...a metronome is a must!

9. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Don't be afraid to count out loud as well - works in both music and pole vault for steps! :p

10. Just go to the downloads section and they have a great metronome you can download for free.

http://www.guitar-academy.com/

"This software produces a ticking sound to practice with, this is an essential way to practice if you want to eventually play with a band. This metronome also gives bar markers for 3/4 time, 4/4 time and 6/8 time "

11. IanStephenson

Apr 8, 2006
    The general approach is a great one for pretty much anything where speed is the issue - set a metronome at a speed you can do it easily, and then bump it up one step at a time. Each step should be as small as possible, and make sure you nail it at each speed before moving to the next...

Ian

12. Ive been practicing on both a drum machine and a metronome, and i can get up to about 180. However this is just playing one note and i suppose now i gotta try it whilst actually playing something a little harder.

13. IanStephenson

Apr 8, 2006
    Also try halfing the tempo again, and playing 16th notes (so you're filling in four notes between each click).

I'm also a big fan of:

--------------------------------------------------
    ------------7------------------------7------------
    --------------------------------------------------
    ---5---5---------5---------5---5---------5------

It's a no-brainer way to kick up a long run of 8th root notes. It's particulary good when the octave locks in with the snare drum.

Also make sure you're getting all of these patterns with different picking patterns - if you're using fingers do them IMIMIMIM and MIMIMIMI (the octaves are slightly easier with the backward picking). Simlary if you're on a pick do DUDUDUDU then do them UDUDUDUD.

Ian

14. thanks for all the help ian, i am using a pick, but sometimes i like to slack off and use fingers. im gonna take it one step at a time and master my 8th notes before i move up to 16ths. ill have to try your pattern out right now, see how i go. thanks again

15. lol my parents told me to keep it down^^, guess practice is over for the night.

16. Wont be the last time. Keep up the pratice sessions, you'll get it down.

17. charic

charic

Apr 17, 2006
    Cambridge
    hey, im fairly new to bass but timing hasnt been a gr8 issue due to playin keyboard since i was six, however gettin to the point i was taught a fairly good way to count eights "1 and 2 and "3 and 4 and" it just becomes part of your system.

:)