Little white switches inside EMG pre amp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cb56, Jan 14, 2006.

1. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    What are they for? I have a Schecter elite 5. It has EMG Hz pickups which are passive but it has an active pre amp. Today I decided to change the battery and noticed two tiny switches conected to the electronics. They have the numbers 1 and 2 above them, the word "ON" below one of the switches and some other numbers that mean nothing to me.

My old Ibanez that had EMG's had something similar that I believe changed the midrange setting. My Schecter doesn't have a midrange control. Bass/treble only. When I move the switches I hear a very quiet pop like something is happening but no real tonal changes at all. Any idea what these are for?
  2. bal704

bal704 Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2004
    In the Great Southwest
    They are DIP switches for setting cross-over frequencies for the pre-amp. If you go to the EMG web site, they have a PDF file that shows the settings for the different pre-amp's they produce.
  3. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    This is the same feature as found in Schack basses (Andy Shack is a German luthier).It's not very clear who started this (or who copied from who) but that's less relevant.
    On my Schack I have a 3-way preamp (low,mid and high pots) but on the preamp's PCB in the cavity I have a 4-way DIP switch for each of the corrections,respectively.This way,it's like I have a "3-way semi-parametric" preamp,because configuring each 4-way dip in a certain manner I have a theoretically 4x4x3=48 configuration ways!
    Your Schecter has a two-way correction so each one has it's dedicated DIP swiches group.They surely do their job in "voicing" the instrument but if you don't hear the changes is probably because your amp doesn't reveal them very clearly.I'd suggest using a good pair of headphones through any "true bypass" device (bypass on,of course).This way,you'll be able to hear every freq.changes.Of course,you'll need to play up and down on the neck in order to hear the changes because playing a single note isn't allways relevant.
  4. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    When all else fails, go to the maufacturer's webpage!
    bal704, thanks for the heads up on that.
    They change the frequency that the treble boost/cut is set at. The reaon I didn't hear any change was because I had the treble knob in the center detent when I was changing them.:eyebrow:
    Boosting or cutting on the treble knob while changing the switches allowed me to hear the tonal changes.
  5. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

actually it makes for a better first stop than last.

It can save you some grief and it's good to be familiar with a manufacturers site for gear you have cuase you'll probably answer other questions you currently have, future questions you would have had, or to know where the answer is for future reference if you forget (like those dip options).
  6. I have had this bass (Stihletto Elite 4) since 4/03 completely unaware of these switches. Well, someone at the factory left them in the "suck" position as I never fell in love with the tone. I have found a much warmer tone in the thing now. I will post again next week after my gig 12/30/06 to report on its performance. Most people tell me the bass has sounded great in the past (especially sound men), but I still preferred my Jazz or Precision basses to it (one fret click and a sound man will push the "suck" button on you everytime). I love the construction and hardware on this bass and the electronics are quiet (line noise, static, etc) as a mouse and put out a very strong signal. For quite a while, I fealt I was stuck with this turkey (no resale value) but perhaps I may be redeemed. It would be great to only need one bass on a gig for a wide variety of tones.

PS Shame on Schecter for their lack of data on these functions and how about putting 2 toggle switches on the bass with the controls for on the fly changes? When I bought the thing at GC I got a gig bag and nothing else with it. A visit to the Schecter Website gave a very poor description of the features and knob functions. No mention of the DIP switches!
  7. I agree- however, the bass is a steal otherwise. Get to know an electronics geek and pay him a nominal fee for setting you up with toggle switches! I agree, it's a good idea, and I also wish it were done this way.

The one good thing about having the switch internal is it keeps you from screwing around with your tone. I, for one, like to find a basic 'sound' and stick with it. I can always adjust with external EQ, as in amp settings, etc. I generally have a sound I offer, and let the world deal with it.