Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Little Wing

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Jazzin', Jul 16, 2005.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Little Wing - Jimi Hendrix

I don't like tabs
    Chords please?

2. Here’s the basic structure off the top of my head; each bar = two big beats:
    / Emin / Emin / G / G / Amin / Amin / Emin / Emin / Bmin / Bmin / Amin / Amin / G / F / C / D / D / rest / rest :|
    Likely to be played down a half step

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Thanks!
    I probably could have figured it out, but I'm too lazy.

4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Almost (as best I remember). Each bar = 4 beats:
    |: Em / / / | G / / / | Am / / / | Em / / / |
    | Bm7 / / Bbm7 | Am7 / C / |
    | G Gadd9 Fadd9 / | C / | D / Dsus4 / | D " " " :|

Note: Measure 8 (| C / |) is a single 2 beat measure. (" " ") = Equals 3 beats of rest in the last measure.

5. My guitarist just introduced this song to me. I went on to learn the bass parts, and came out with the same chords as gsys's. Without the voicings (7, add9, sus4).

How did you get the voicings in? From the melody? Just from listening? or From your own interpretation? :)

6. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    It's in the guitar voicings. The bass part doesn't really deal with the extensions. Stevie Ray Vaughn's version is a little more distinct in hearing these changes than the original Hendrix version (although they're in there). gsys's version is fine as a guide if you are going to stick around the original bass part. If your guitarist is not playing the extensions, he's missing most of the beauty of this song (Make sure he knows the difference between a "9" and a "add 9" chord. Many "rock" :bag: guitarists don't (no flames please) and a full "9" chord would not sound so great here).

I personally like to know the complete changes as I do a lot of trio gigs and alter my part to include the extensions and/or play chordally under the guitar solos.

7. So you mean that I should transcribe what Hendrix played and I should get the voicings? :hyper:

8. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Re-read my previous post.
    The answer is already there.
    It depends on how you are going to play it.