Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Live 8 coverage is pretty good today

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bruce B, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    USA
    VH1 is replaying a lot of Live 8 stuff right now and I haven't seen a comercial or VJ yet. Just live music :hyper:

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Well, not exactly LIVE, but hey, have fun!

3. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    USA
    Well, not exactly, but we can pretend ;)

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Who was that playing bass for the Who?

They barely showed a single shot of him, during the whole show.

But he was great, rock-solid, and he had a nice rig too. :)

5. Damon Minchella of Ocean Colour Scene, who also, like the drummer they had Steve White, plays in Paul Weller's band.
    I think he was playing the same maple-neck block inlays 70's Jazz he played with OCS.

6. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Thanks - they were both really good, IMO, very tight. :)

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I hadn't seen any of the performances before now - Floyd sounded pretty damn good, IMO.

8. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, and Stevie Wonder was truly brilliant.

Anyone who can play keys like that, and sing at the same time, can have a spot in my band any day.

Jeez, I can't even believe how good he is.

Except for that one little gaffe there, between songs, he had it totally going on.

Who was that skinny white guy that was singing with him on "signed, sealed, delivered"? He was really good.

9. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    One of the coolest parts, for me, was McCartney doing "Baby You Can Drive My Car" with George Michael. They were great together. That's one of the hardest songs in the world to play, as a bass player (at least for me it is), and sing at the same time. The rhythms are just insane, and totally awesome. And McCartney's band was masterful at the whole thing. McCartney himself is an amazing player, even though most of his bass-playing stuff is really pretty simple, but the idea of holding that down while singing at the same time (and with the focused voice he has), is awe-inspiring. I guess that's why they pay him the big bucks. :D

So, what did you guys think of the "results" of the Live-8 thing in general? Geldof claimed "victory", he thinks he somehow influenced the G-8 to double the aid allocation to Africa. Do you think the concerts were influential in that regard?

10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    What song did he play?
    I couldn't watch live 8 at all I was very busy last saturday.
    The only one I seen is Pink Floyd, someone posted a link here.

I wish I could see tevie now!