live 8

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Jul 1, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    best thing about it: a reunited pink floyd with original line-up!!!!!sweet. maybe theyll hit it off after all these years and start making good music again.
  2. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    Not a chance. They haven't made a decent record since Animals. They suck, and the whole show will probably suck too. The sequels and wannabes are never as good as the original.
  3. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I think that youre missing the point.
  4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Does anyone know when Pink Floyd is playing?
  5. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    july 2nd and i dont know about in other parts of the world but supposedly in america the whole set will be aired on VH1
  6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

No offence dude, I meant: do they play at 22.00, 00.00 etc ? ;)
  7. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    It's about people being f*&^%ng hungry. Nothing else.

8. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland's about making the rest of the world feel good about themselves by having a huge rock concert that will raise millions to buy food. It does nothing to address the chronic problems in Africa.
  9. i'm interested in hearing deep purple as well as pink floyd
  10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Seeing as it's a free concert, I doubt very little money if any will be donated. I thought the whole purpose was raising awareness.
  11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Rock & roll activism is a wonderful thing.

They're attracting some really big name players, including Linkin Park, Toby Keith, and so on.

I just caught the blurb on MS-NBC a few seconds ago, they're expecting half a million people in Philadelphia today.

The FBI is already out there, with their chem-sniffers, trying to keep the crowd safe.

Some of the performers are being enticed with free "gifts" and so on, and there have been complaints about Afro-American artists being excluded from the show.

But if even a few bucks of the proceeds go towards the stated cause, it'll be a good thing.

Geldof makes a living off stuff like this, no doubt about it. But first of all, it's a good show, and second of all, it's a good cause. Africa is suffering right now, under the scourges of HIV and hunger/poverty and corrupt dictators, and anything we can do to help is a good thing.

12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

I wish there was a way to funnel more funds to Africa... like if this concert was even 1 pound or a couple bucks to attend, that would still generate a bunch of money...

*eventhough this is a 'side note' and not as important as cause at hand*... oh and BTW, keep an eye out for some of the backline behind many of the artists....
  13. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Apparently the concessions are set up to funnel money back to the promoters. That's what I heard, I don't know if that's true or not. But the whole idea behind it, kinda makes sense. If you can draw gazillions of people, and get them to buy popcorn and sodas at inflated prices, then you'll make money.

I agree though, it's going to be very interesting to see how much "dollars", if any, is going to be generated out of this thing. Geldof is a brilliant man, he's done this kind of thing before, and "some" good has come out of it, in the past.

Let's hope he has his act together, on this one. :)
  14. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Whaddyamean?? They hadn't made a decent album since Meddle.
    Dark Side would have been a phenominal album for anyone but them imho.
  15. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Like an earlier poster said, the focus of the concert is not to raise money (no money will be sent to Africa). The concerts are to force the meeting of G8 to bring up Africa (hunger/AIDS) in their meeting next week.
  16. From my understanding Pink Floyd will be on around 14:00 eastern. With my luck just before Floyd goes on, they will cut to a satellite feed on Celine Dion...(sorry guys, just because she is from Canada, don't blame me) Back line? Also from what I heard bands have 15-20 mins to play. When they are finished, the next band starts on another stage, stage 1 gets torn down and set up for another band...this is how it's going in Hyde park at least. So maybe nobody is sharing their gear...
  17. I get the feeling I'm just going to be irritated all day, but I'll watch anyway because i dig music and the chance to see people play live.
    I don't believe you can alleviate something as deep and entrenched as world poverty with a concert.
    Poverty is not just a lack of money. Peace is not just a lack of war.
  18. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Wow, that's deep, scourge-man. You should come on over to TPA. :D
  19. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    OK, I'll give you that. What point were you making, just so we're clear. I'm not busting your chops, I guess I really did miss what you were trying to say.
  20. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    I don't know if I'd go that far back, but I think we're still on the same page here. The point was the quality of their work declined drastically in the latter part of their "heyday".