Live Amp Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blaire, Apr 23, 2004.

1. blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Help, My band plays at a bar which has all equipment there but most of it is crap. The "bass amp" is a peavy keyboard amp which sounds like crap! So heres my problem,I dont have my own big amp,only a small hartke b30 which sounds great. I dont want to use the peavy again but my hartke is too small.of course I could mic the hartke and run through the P/A but then I wont be able to hear myself on stage. (the floor monitors are also crap). I cant afford a big amp at the moment.I could rent 1 but they are not much better. Thanks in advance. :bawl:
  2. Well, I'm tired and maybe a bit cranky, so take my answer here with a grain of salt.

Telling us that your B30 practice amp is great and the bar's stuff is crap...well, somehow that seems a little funny. Sure, a Peavey keyboard combo may not be an Ampeg SVT, but it's probably capable of putting out some pretty passable tones if you learn what sound works best in a club and how to EQ to get it. Same with the monitors.

The sound you aim for when you're at home practicing ISN'T the best sound for a bar, usually.

So until you get your own rig (and the band gets its own PA) don't whine about using somebody elses gear.
  3. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Your Hartke probably has a Line Out. Plug it into the Peavey's input, or the Power Amp In if it has one. Set the Peavey eq flat and get your tone from your Hartke and volume from the PV.
  4. Although I dont know anything about the Hartke amps, im sure you could get this to work. Also like nashvillebill said, your tone you use in practice almost never works in live situations. I use a "smiley" on my EQ at practice, but live, i give more of a low-mid, mid-high boost to help cut through.

5. The majority of venues Ive ever played, small or large, have crappy monitors and muddy sound unless we bring our own system. For that part of it - learn to live with it. As far as a bass rig, there are plenty of affordable and portable combos on the market. I even see used ones advertised (and even at Guitar Center) daily for less than 5 bills. Do yourself a one. 200 watts or so, with an XLR line out....youll be glad ya did.