1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Live And Learn...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ScottW, Jun 10, 2011.

1. ScottW

ScottW

Nov 24, 2008
    So, my Bello Squier neck configuration never really made me happy...had a slight bow to the E string side that was not present on the G string side...

...well, I took the neck out of the pocket, and found a little strip of coarse sand paper in the pocket.

"Hey," I say to myself, "really nice of them to include a piece of sand paper to make adjustments in the pocket or on the root of the neck!"

SO, I take the little strip of sand paper and even off the screw holes, remove some gunk that was in the pocket on the G string side, even up the little cork plug under there; just kind of smooth everything up. The neck fit really nice, and I got a more level, even string fit after my chainsaw carpentry...which allowed me to get a little lower action without fret buzz...
    ...AND THEN, I read somewhere that all that sand paper is, is a shim!? Well, like I said, you live and learn... :bassist:

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    that's a funny story

i never understood why a thin piece of paper can make such of a difference in the way a neck fits into the neck pocket...but it seems to do wonders for lots of people.

3. It's because of Geometry.

4. Muzoid

Muzoid

Feb 12, 2011
    Canada!
    Hahahaha....classic!

Maybe they should include this:

no-user-parts-c.

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I was horrible at Geometry in high school...failed it, and passed with a C- in summer school :scowl:

6. ON the ONE

ON the ONE

Nov 20, 2010
    Maine
    Funny thing about that there geometry subject. I used to hate it in school and was terrible with it. Now I am a full time luthier and use geometry daily.....and love it! It's amazing how much difference an application can make. Neck angles are fun! Who knew!

7. Baron Von Vik

Baron Von Vik

Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere in Arizona
    Mojo FunkBasses
    It's easy- Bass necks are long. A minute adjustment at the joint makes degrees of difference at the nut.

I still don't know how to measure it accurately enough to get it on the first try, but I've learned to dial it in. Takes two or three goes.

I still don't understand why the OP's bass had a shim if it obviously didn't need one. Maybe it's a case of absent-mindedness, like a surgeon leaving a glove inside a patient?