Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Live At Leeds re-issue; does it sound as good?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by alexclaber, Jan 7, 2003.

1. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Well that really says it all. I left my copy of Live At Leeds at a friend's house and it has vanished without a trace. I was thinking of getting a new copy, then they re-issued it and I think I read about the re-re-issue having been remastered and the amazing bass tone being compromised. Is this the case?

Cheers,

Alex

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I personally prefer both the pacing and the sound of the original. I think that most people when they complain about this issue, complain about the "Tommy" disc not the main disc.

The disc sounds a hell of a lot better than nothing.

3. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I can't give an objective opinion because I love "Live at Leeds" I have both the reissue and the 2 disc re-issue--i feel the sound is the same. I used to use kieth Moon's first drum lick in "young man Blues" as my audio test sample--if a set of speakers could take that it could take anything! I remember hearing Leeds decades ago for the first time and thought"how can 3 guys and a singer make that much racket! sounds like a jet engine!!!"

I did buy a re-issue of "quadrophenia" where the bass was re-mixed and sounded real tinny, though.

4. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I have the 2-disc super-cool-kid re-issue with cheese and a shake version. I had not heard any previous versions, so I guess I'm not good for comparisons. However, I am pleased with the audio quality of these discs, especially considering they were recorded live over 30 years ago.