1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Live At Leeds re-issue; does it sound as good?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by alexclaber, Jan 7, 2003.

1. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Well that really says it all. I left my copy of Live At Leeds at a friend's house and it has vanished without a trace. I was thinking of getting a new copy, then they re-issued it and I think I read about the re-re-issue having been remastered and the amazing bass tone being compromised. Is this the case?

Cheers,

Alex

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I personally prefer both the pacing and the sound of the original. I think that most people when they complain about this issue, complain about the "Tommy" disc not the main disc.

The disc sounds a hell of a lot better than nothing.

3. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I can't give an objective opinion because I love "Live at Leeds" I have both the reissue and the 2 disc re-issue--i feel the sound is the same. I used to use kieth Moon's first drum lick in "young man Blues" as my audio test sample--if a set of speakers could take that it could take anything! I remember hearing Leeds decades ago for the first time and thought"how can 3 guys and a singer make that much racket! sounds like a jet engine!!!"

I did buy a re-issue of "quadrophenia" where the bass was re-mixed and sounded real tinny, though.

4. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I have the 2-disc super-cool-kid re-issue with cheese and a shake version. I had not heard any previous versions, so I guess I'm not good for comparisons. However, I am pleased with the audio quality of these discs, especially considering they were recorded live over 30 years ago.