1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Live At Leeds

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Noseferatu, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    Anybody else just absolutely love The Ox's tone on the Leeds album?? I believe he was using a P bass at the time, as well, wasnt he?? A whole crap load of high end though.

2. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    Probably the greatest live album of all time. Really loud! My ears are still ringing lol.

3. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Also my favorite era for Pete with his P-90 SG which had a shredding tone he lost when he moved on to LP's. Also notable is the way they jammed played the song different from the recorded versions vs todays bands who are required to replicate songs note for note night after night.

4. This.

5. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    This was the first Who album I ever bought and it STILL defines "perfect rock-bass tone" to me. The sound is so... rotund but detailed and aticulate, if that makes any sense? I still get chills when he snaps G-D-A-E at the beginning along with Moony (blew my mind at the time that Moony's drums were more or less tuned to the bass...). John's Frankenstein P-bass through his Highwatt set up were just perfect as was Pete's set up (my favorite Pete tone too!). Don't get me wrong, I love his Sunn and Alembic sound, but that earlier tone was pure rock bass to me.

It's funny, "Leeds" actually made "Live at the Isle of White" a bit disappointing. It almost sounds like they didn't mike John's treble cabs, it's all low and rumbly with none of the detail you head on "Leeds". He was using a different P-bass for that show though, maybe that made some difference....

Fun fact: The bass is hard left in the stereo mix on both "Leeds" and "Isle of White" if you want to isolate John.

-Paul :)

TheDominoKid likes this.
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    if you dig John's Live at Leeds tone, and don't know of it already, check out some live King Crimson stuff with John Wetton on bass. He also uses a P bass into a Hiwatt stack.

7. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    A recipe for success if there ever was one. :cool:

8. tinman 1967

tinman 1967

Mar 6, 2010
    Yes..... one of my all time favorite live recordings.... Love the "ka chunk" on majic bus!! That guy took the bass guitar to a whole different level. I used to play that album as loud as I could, with earphones on.... and imagine I was John Entwistle!

Maybe thats why my wife tells me to turn down the TV now.

I was 13.......... That was 30 years ago! Still love it though! Just at a lesser volume !!:)

9. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Or if buying a new bass and amp are beyond your budget, there's always the considerably cheaper shortcut version:

Tech21LeedsDistortionPedal.

EDIT: BTW I was recently really getting into "Happy Jack" off this album. I'm still trying to get my band to cover it.

10. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Amazing album from start to finish. The band's stage banter even rules:bassist:

11. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    Wooo Leeds! Just had to shout it out. ;D

12. jtb

jtb

Apr 27, 2008
    London and Bangkok
    As far as rock tone is concerned, that album makes the whole

'34'' or 35''?, single coil or humbucker?, passive or active?, tube, hybrid or 'D' Class?, neo or alnico?, 10, 12 or 15?, steel, nickel or flatwound?, maple or rosewood?, swamp-ash or alder?, through-neck or bolt-on?'

yawn-a-thon seem a bit pointless. :smug:

SwitchGear likes this.
  13. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    Agreed!

14. don't forget the catalinbread W||O if you can find one

15. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    I do that literally almost every single time I pick up my bass to play it.