1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Live Bass <sound should I listen to my guitar player?>

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Birdland11, May 10, 2010.

1. Just a quick question, i play in a cover band 4 nights a week and need a compressor. I have a stingray hh and a markbass 2x10 and my guitar player says i should get what he has which is a maxon cp-9 is he right or wrong ? Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    What is it you hope to achieve by using a compressor?

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Do you think you need a compressor or did your guitar player tell you you need one?

4. Check out Bongomania's extensive compressor reviews & FAQS and decide for yourself. I think the gtr player is wrong, but have the luxury of not having to deal with him. Dosen't the Markbass have a compressor?

5. you'll find way more helpful information if you search and/or post this in the effects forum.

...and yes, bongo's site will tell you everything you need to know.

www.ovnilab.com

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    guitar compressors tend to be "lo-fi", imparting a real sonic signature to the sound.

if you did need a compressor (are some of your notes a lot louder than others, and not deliberately?), then i'd think a more sophisticated model that was made to be transparent would fit the bill. rackmount PA comps are popular with bass players, and for pedal types the carl martin is pretty hi-fi.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Maxon CP-9 is an awesome compressor... VERY HiFi and transparent. I replaced an Ashly rack unit with mine.

Take some time and play through his if you can and see if it suits you.

8. Bongo is the go to person for that info I agree. I used Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer pedal not modded works great for me

9. What is wrong that you need a compressor?

10. I bought it and it is wonderful, i suggest you try this thing out. WOW

11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    bought what?

12. I'm just glad he didn't suggest using same string gauges as him.

The above link to Bongo's excellent compressor reviews should help you determine whether a compressor is right for you or not, as well as which one.