Live gig soon. Stuck with 100W combo and Sansamp. Need tips.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nuno.ka, May 19, 2007.

1. nuno.ka

nuno.ka

Feb 11, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    My band has some live gigs in the horizon and I'm stuck with my Yorkville 100W 1x15" combo (two kids + mortgage = no money for toys).
    Venues are the typical small bar.
    I do have a Sansamp BDDI. How should I setup so that I can listen to myself on stage and also give my audience a good tone?
    The band has a drummer and two guitars. The type of music you can listen to on myspace.
    Should I put the combo on the floor or on a stand?
    I use effect pedals, so the BDDI has to be on the end of the chain right?
    Anything else you think of that might be useful please share.

Thanks!

2. froovs

froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    scotland
    it sounds counter-intuitive, but boost the mids and highs and cut the bass

that way at least you will be heard, especially competing with two guitars

being heard with not fantastic tone is far better than just an indistinct barely heard muffle

lay off the effects if you can, less is always more when you dont have enough power

that and beer crates are your friend

cheers
    Lucy

3. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Hi Nuno,

You will be just fine, trust me on that one :) I have played gigs with even a 10" combo! (not mine of course)

Here's what I think you should do:

Line up all your effects and yes, put the sansamp last in the chain. Use the sansamp as your linedriver and use the 100watt combo as your monitor. If the combo haven't got enough volume (which I strongly doubt) you can always ask for some bass in your stage-monitor.
    However, I'd say you don't really *need* to "cut through" with huge "oooomph'y" sounds. You should be fine with just a hint of bass on stage.

This is all in my own experience, hell, I've played stages where I couldn't hear myself at all, it sure makes the performance harder, but I can live with it.

/ Bo

Edit: You should be placing your combo on a chair or something, eventually see if you can tilt it a bit :)

4. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    first, you should put the combo on a stand or a give it a little lift.

if you have a PA - and they have a sub - I highly recommend you use the DI out on the SansAmp. If that is the case then don't worry about how the audience hears your amp at all and get the combo close enough for you to hear.

Make sure the rest of the band gives you breathing room and doesn't go crazy - you'll get drowned out in no time.

most 15" combo cabs are horrible for reproducing a manageable clean sound.

If this is your amp http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=7&cat=64&id=370

Then turn the scoop off,

back the bass off to about 10 o clock

boost the mids to about 2 o clock or so

and keep the treble flat.

if you factor all of this together you might actually get a usable tone.

If you are strapped for cash but are goo with your hands and have some access to power tools I HIGHLY recommend you build one of Bill Fitzmaurice's cabinets! the plans are very detailed and the end result is very efficient.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com

an omni10 - or an omnitop 15 would be great for your situation. See if you can take the amp out of the combo and go from there.

hope this helps you

5. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I have to second all of BassJunkie's comments. I actually did a gig once with just the samsamp into the pa. Worked great but the pa was great and also was the guy mixing!!!!
    I am also looking forward to building a Omni 10. The plans allow you to make it with basic carpentry tools and skills. Handyman experience is all that is necessary.

6. I dont

7. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    There is no PA at all? No vocalist?. If there is any kind of main and mixer then you have some PA support. Find an empty channel and use it if you can.

8. nuno.ka

nuno.ka

Feb 11, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Thanks for all the tips so far, keep 'em coming!
    Yes there will be some kind of PA and one of the gui****s is the singer. The other gui**** and I do backing vocals.

9. nuno.ka

nuno.ka

Feb 11, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    No, it's a much older model from the 90's and very simple - volume, bass, mid, high, fx loop, headphone.
    So I'll put the combo on a stand near ear level and send the sansamp to the PA. Is it ok to use the BDDI's eq on the end of the FX chain?
    boss OC2 - ibanez PD7 distortion - digitech chorus - volume - delay - BDDI
    Should I turn the combo to the inside of the stage or let it bleed out to the audience?

10. Paul_Atreides

Paul_Atreides

May 21, 2007
    Arrakis
    I think if you use the EQ on the BDDI on top of the effects you may muddy things up. IMHO you should only use it as a DI in that situation.
    Everybody agree?

11. yup

12. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Having read what's here already, I don't have much to add except that I like your myspace songs, a lot...

13. nuno.ka

nuno.ka

Feb 11, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Thanks a lot Chef, it comes as a big compliment from a fellow bassist.
    And also thanks you guys very much for all the tips. I hope I can have a decent sound and make myself heard with such a small rig.

14. All depends on the size of the room , the loudness of the band, and all that...

But if you are trying to fill the bass duties with only your rig and no PA support, then the combo has to do it all. Is it loud enough for practice? If so, then your band must not be TOO loud, so maybe it can cut it.

If it does not seem to be cutting it, you might consider disengaging the SABDDI, because those scoop out a lot of mid freqs, which are important for audibility.

15. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

And if the combo is your 'stage monitor', point it at your ears.

16. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

I have a similar set up. I use a Roland Cube 100 as my stage amp/monitor. It has almost always been loud enough with PA support. I even use it without PA on smaller gigs and if people are playing at a reaosonable level for the venue it should be enough.

I run mine a little differently. I use some of the built in stuff - compression, amp modeling - on my Roland. I take a line or DI out from that and run to a Radial JDI (to take some of the "digitalness" away an dwarm it up a bit, it's a great DI) and then to the PA.

17. nuno.ka

nuno.ka

Feb 11, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Yeah, I've been using the BDDI's preamp for recording but not for live tone shaping.

And Thor, I have a keyboard stand with which I can raise and tilt the combo so I think that's what I'll do.

18. Paul_Atreides

Paul_Atreides

May 21, 2007
    Arrakis
    I agree with Chef, do you have more songs? They'd sound great with English lyrics.

19. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    I currently use a lower powered single 15 combo with similar effects as you. A DI to the PA will fill the room and even under loud stage volumes that amp will be an effective stage monitor for you when following the advice previously posted here. With a similar amp eq'd properly I can even end up with too much stage volume at times. Same amp will fart out the speaker before being able to hear it with poor eq settings.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021