1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Live Graham Central Station, 1974!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This is really cool. Graham had just dropped the second album, Release Yourself, and they were doing the promotional thing on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. You know this was blowing bassists away back in the day when they saw this! I think Larry Graham might have had flatwounds on his Jazz/:confused:

2. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    This may be a stretch, but I wonder if people were scratching their heads like they were when Einstein announced his relativity theories? Ground breaking!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

I think they're Labella Tapewounds....

Check out Bobby Vega videos on the Bass Player TV.Especially the introduction one W/hair I've never heard ANYONE grab onto the Graham thing the way he can.

Aj

4. Graham goes beyond being a great bass innovator: he was a great singer, lyricist, arranger and leader.

5. Wonderful!!!! Bass tone has come a long way since then, but the playing sure hasn't (at least in the funk genre).:bassist:

6. Aurel

Aurel

Dec 11, 2008
    Paris, France
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses & Framus guitars, Pigtronix, Aguilar Amps, Orange Amps,
    Great video, Thanks!

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you check out that link, you will see that Larry Graham now has a Youtube site of his videos. The MarloweDK stuff aside, Youtube has been a fantastic source for bass. As a historian by training, I see Youtube as essentially a video and audio archive. Actually hearing Larry's tone on this video is an history lesson in itself.:)

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Nice vid. And I love that vintage old school Fender Jazz slap tone. I can't stand the overly trebly sound a lot of folks have today. Gimme bass!

9. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Love it. Thanks Cheese. :)