1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Live-In Amp/Rack Cases

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Josh Pelican, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Does anyone here have a head case/rack unit?

I came across R&R Cases, Maxline Music Cases, and several other sites, but I've never heard much about these companies.

Does anyone have any experience with any of them?

http://www.rrcases.com/amphead-racks.htm
    http://www.maxlinemusiccases.com/ampcases.html

I'm considering having one made in the future, but I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with them. I want to get one that looks similar to this one:
    amprack2.

I have seen many bands use them (in videos and gear tours), but I haven't seen many live. I have no idea what kind of price range I would be looking at, or which company would be better.

I want to get one that will fit an Ampeg SVT with a 2-4 space rack unit on top. A step in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

2. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Typically I've only seen shock-racks like that with relatively big bands who do a lot of heavy touring. If you have a lot of expensive and delicate gear, they are definitely a worthwhile investment if you're going to be on the road a lot.

3. I'd probably be better off getting a case for my SVT and then a rack case on eBay by the sounds of it.

I am not even in a band right now.

EDIT: Hell, I don't even have the SVT right now. It's in Quebec in the back of a UPS van. I just know I want to get a case for it sooner or later.

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Yeah those would just kinda be a PITA at least for me. And unless you have a trailer with a ramp, it'd take 2-3 people probably to get that thing into the back of a truck/SUV with an SVT inside!

If you get the amp and need a shock-case for it, there's tons and tons on eBay for sure.

5. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    carry a 8x10 at the same time with the 40+kg head+case weight is not a good idea, imagine to get it up stair of any place, especially one with a a narrow ladder

6. I have the matching Ampeg 810 so I am quite familiar with carrying one of these. I always keep it in a basement, unfortunately.

I guess I'll stick with a metal case for the SVT on its own. I may try to add wheels to look like this:
    [​IMG].

Right now I have the SVT coming to me, and a rack tuner. Having a single rack tuner sitting on top of the Ampeg would be silly. I'm thinking about getting a four unit SKB/Gator case and setting it up as:
    Furman PL-8
    DOUBLE SPACE
    RACK DRAWER
    Korg DTR-1

This might seem like much, but at present I'm still young and have the energy to do lug it around before/after shows...

7. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I'm not sure specifically what you're asking, but I have a rack that I keep my head, tuner, compressor, and power conditioner in. It's made by Road Ready. I picked it up at Guitar Center back when they used to have real sales.

rack0909.

rig0909.

8. That would not work for me as my head is not rackable.

The first picture I posted has space for a head (that is not rackable), but has a rack unit on top for anything else.

I'm thinking I may just grab a four space rack unit to chuck a power conditioner, my rack tuner, and a drawer into. This shouldn't be too heavy as my head/cab is heavy enough.

9. Tone Meister

Tone Meister

Dec 9, 2009
    NC
    Don't know about Maxline but R&R is a direct competitor of ours (we also build custom ATA cases http://www.draughonbrothers.com/cases.php). Their stuff is as good as it gets. You'll see R&R cases on tour with some of the biggest bands in the industry. Pricey, but you'd be getting exactly what you paid for. Same goes for us.

10. Tone Meister

Tone Meister

Dec 9, 2009
    NC
    A custom case similar to that, using 1/2" material, will be priced between $1200 and $1800, depending on a number of factors.

11. I have road cases for all my gear but don't use them for local gigs due to size and weight, I keep them just in case i get back out there. Until you are playing a tour with proper transport (freight truck with a lift) and venues (loading dock, real stage area) road cases can be a real hassle and a lot of extra work.

12. 2-Sticks

2-Sticks

Sep 8, 2008
    Vancouver B.C. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: S.I.T. Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, WB Gear,
    If you are a sadist like me you could aways case your 8x10 like I did. I don't rcommend it unless you are ready to take the "Fridge" experience to the next level!!

I know everyone is going to ask why? It actually isn't much worse to move, the casters are rated for 1600 lbs so i can load everything on top of it and roll it in and out of the trailer quite easily.

I don't have any good pics of the case, i may take some at next rehearsal.....but here are a couple shots i do have.

B1610s.

It's the one on the right, cased to prevent it from looking like the one on the left!

l_286f58d989dc4035a3cf6774ec22bf33.