Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Live in Tokyo - Anthony Jackson

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bernie Connors, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Does anyone have the Michel Petrucciani - Live in Tokyo album? It's Michel with AJ and Steve Gadd. I just ordered it and I am really looking forward to getting it. Any opinions on it?

Thanks!

2. I have a copy of it on MP3 ( :eek: ). It's well-played modern piano trio stuff with some rockish leanings, but nothing that would really knock anyone's socks off. Jackson is virtually inaudible at a lot of times, but that may just be a result of poor MP3 encoding.

3. Thanks for the reply, Peter!

I hope that it is a result of bad encoding because I want to hear AJ. :p

The sound samples I've heard are promising, so I'm expecting to like it.

-Bernie

4. Hi Bernie

I have that CD in my collection.

It isn't the best recording I have heard and Peter's observation regarding the inaudibility Of AJ is borne out on the CD IMO. It's not that you can't hear him it's just the weight isn't there. I hope you understand what I mean. Listening to this CD and then Michel Camillo's Triangulo really brings home the difference for me.

It's still a good CD though.

Nick

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Out of the innumerable recordings featuring AJ I have in my collection, "Tokyo" may be my least favorite in terms of sonic quality in the bass department, bootlegs recorded on boomboxes included. The actual playing is of top notch quality, of course.

On this record, the bass essentially sounds like a small miked amplifier with no direct signal at all. I'll echo the statements regarding AJ's studio efforts with Michel Camilo, which are a wonderful example of electric bass working beautifully in all aspects within a modern piano/electric bass/drums latin/jazz setting.

6. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    i agree with most of the above posts.
    the playing itself is great, but from a "bass cd" point of view it could be better, especially in the sound department.

i'll also recommend michel camilo's triangulo

7. Thanks everyone for the replies!

I'm disappointed to hear of the the quality of the bass on L.I.T since I will be picking it up from Barnes & Noble soon, but atleast I'll have AJ's amazing playing to keep me going during the record.

I'm also anxious to hear Michel Petrucciani's playing as well. He seems to be a legend from what I've read.

I agree with all of you on Triangulo. I think it is what every jazz album should sound like. It's mixed perfectly and the bass sounds so amazing on that recording. I never get tired of listening to it. I listen to it multiple times per day sometimes.

Thank you all for the great info!

-Bernie