Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Live Interactive Bass instruction

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sbasssman, Jul 13, 2002.

1. sbasssman

sbasssman Guest

Jan 1, 2002
    I'm seeing several web sites offering live, interactive guitar instruction - with webcams.
    Are there any comparable sites for bass?
    If not, are there any sites with very high
    quality video instruction that can be downloaded - that I'll pay for - for an intermediate bass player?
    I'm aware of the slew of bass instruction sites, but most of them are either too basic, or don't have corresponding high quality audio and video. I'm willing to pay - I just haven't found what I'm looking for. Any pointers? Thank you.

- Frank

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    SPACEMAN,

Not to state the obvious, but what's wrong with a good old-fashioned human teacher?

DURRL

3. sbasssman

sbasssman Guest

Jan 1, 2002
    > but what's wrong with a good old-fashioned human teacher?

Cuz there aren't any real teachers in my part of the world. All we have are non-teachers in music stores - I need something beyond that.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    What's your part of the world? Is there a university nearby? Have you met all the teachers in all the music stores? I'm asking because I live and teach in a smallish/medium sized city, and there are some really great players and teachers mixed in with the FiElDy TaBbErS at some of the stores...you just need to know where to look. One studio where I teach requires all teachers to hold college music degrees.

I'm not trying to discourage you from finding online instruction, but only trying to point out that online instruction can't really measure up to actual human interaction in a one on one setting. If you've tried all of the music stores and all of the teachers are burnouts, maybe try the nearest university...you may still find a burnout there, but at least it'll be an educated one. :)