Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Live Jamerson!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I posted about this on another thread got nothin so Im giving it its own!

Anybody heard the Live disc that comes with the newest version of " Whats going on"

Its Marvin LIve with the funk brother in Dc in 72.

Its great lots of new arrangments.Its loose fun and Funky!

I can hear Jamersons upright roots/technique alot (alot of octave harmonics on the g and d) more than on the studio stuff.

Right on is crazy so slow ,back on the beat and Down!

AJ

2. I really like that it has that has both mixes of the entire recording on one cd as well as a track of 'What's Going On' sans vocals with Jamerson and strings (pretty neat to hear his bass so well) PLUS a second disc that is a live recording of the DC gig you mentioned, there are some wonderful moments and some just plain strange.

There has also been some mention of a'vanity' solo recording that Motown did featuring Jamerson with the funk bros that has never been released, Gordy did it to appease Jamerson at one point. We would all go CRAZY for that!.

3. Hey, I was just about to post about this. I picked up that disc yesterday.

I think Jamerson's tone is pretty dissapointing on the rythm and strings mix, actually. But it sounds fantastic when the percussion comes in - something about his tone is tailored to work best with a group on top of it, I guess.

GREAT album.

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    must....have......recording......now.......neeed........can't.....breathe........must ..............have.................ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ........ ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ..... (sigh) .... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .... must. ....... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    two...discs????? ..... can't .... find ..... no ..... amazon ....... no ........ cdnow ........................... must have ................................................................. need ................... more ..................... info ........................... NOW ....................................... where ............................................................. where ......................................................................... please ......................................... sufficating ...........

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD

I FOUND IT! URETHRA!

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Whew! That was a close one. I didn't think I was going to make it.

Sorry about that folks.

I'm a little drained now.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Geez, where have you guys been?
    The 'usuals' yapped this about a year ago(?).
    Big time discussion on "Inner City Blus"(how many basses are being played, who played what, blah).
    Bassland Bob even linked a transcription to one of the tunes.

...I think I bought my copy of this from BMG's Music Club(amazed you hadda a difficult time, 'Bo). ;)

9. G

G

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    What is the exact name of the disc? Where can I get it? Jazzbo, give me a link!?

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I had not heard of this at all. I'm very surprised.

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=sr_1_10/104-0512234-2799951?v=glance&s=music

11. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Ive known about it for quite awile but I never saw it used or any of my friends hadnt bought it yet.

AJ