1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Live looping?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dukeorock, Apr 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Didn’t see much, so wondering if anyone does live looping? I’ve done a bunch of recordings with just bass as the sound source, but I just purchased an EHX 95000 in an attempt to do live looping at some point...anyone else?

JJR58 likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I got the Pigtronix Infinity Looper with the intent to learn to use it live, but haven't spent the time practicing with it yet.

That Coyote and dukeorock like this.
  3. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    Check out Janek Gwizdala's solo performances they are all about live looping. He has tips on how to loop on his youtube channel.

the explode man, Rev J and dukeorock like this.
  4. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Live looping on your own is a totally different experience from trying it with a group - which are you referring to?

Veldar and ThrewSilver like this.
  5. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks, I have checked him out! Very cool stuff :)

6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Check out Julie Slick, too, using a (Lakland) VI:

If you go to the YouTube page you can read her step-by-step description of what she's doing in the video.

7. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Yep, Julie is rad! I guess I was hoping that forum members would share what they do and how they do it. I just finished a live loop that I’m fairly happy with. Will upload it in a while. There’s a dude installing fiber so my internet is down for a bit :)

JJR58 and Lobster11 like this.
  8. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Here's one I did this morning...used a 2002 Gibson Thunderbird, Reiner 6SL7 tube pre and some pedals

ThrewSilver likes this.
  9. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Actually, Julie is (or at least used to be) a TB member, so just pretend that my post was from her, and that her written description of the whats and hows on the Youtube page was the text of her post. :D

JJR58 likes this.
  10. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Aha! Thanks, ‘Julie!’ :)

JJR58 and Lobster11 like this.
  11. Proton Lenny

Proton Lenny Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    I do quite a bit of solo live-looping (used to live-loop in bands as well). Mostly use the Boss RC-300, but the Pigtronix Infinity looper has really been intriguing me recently. Really wish it had 3 tracks though. Here's a few samples.

mike57, basscapes, nolezmaj and 3 others like this.
  12. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks for stopping by! I’m subscribed to your youtube channel. Big fan of your looping and pedal reviews! The Infinity Looper does look great. I got the EHX 95000 because of all the tracks and the mix channel option. It’s a bit clumsy in certain aspects and a bit awesome in others for performance stuff, but I didn’t really know until I jumped in :)

13. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I use a Boss RC 20. I've learned about how to use different types of signal processing such as pitch shifting with a 6 string bass to give each looped part it's own sonic character and takes up different frequency space. Having that extra range also allows me to use different parts of the neck and frequency spectrum. Also learning about harmony and arranging helps a lot in learning how and what to play and allowing it to sound musical.

C/S,
    Rev J

dukeorock likes this.
  14. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Could you clarify please ... downsides in particular ?

15. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    There’s a lot of upsides, to be clear! 6 tracks, plus the mix down track, individual faders, midi clocking/quantizing, good sound quality. Lots of good stuff!

I prefer having it up on a desk, or whatever...if I could, I’d use a midi foot controller to keep the 95000 elevated to control faders easier. Can’t do individual mutes. Overall, I like it, but it works better using your hands to control it

BigBeatNut likes this.
  16. Interesting to hear that. The EHX 95000 came out after I bought the Infinity and what you say confirms exactly my reservations about it after some reading and watching a few demos. I love the concept of combining the features of a looper and a mixing desk, but yeah it seems better suited to the performer with two hands free.

17. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I guess all this stuff is what you make it, for sure. I like the 95000 for what it is...track count alone, keeping the loops separated for better mixing after the fact, etc. just depends on what you’re going for. Heck, I’d love to have both!

JJR58 and JimboP like this.
  18. Live looping in a band is hard, the loop needs to be great as well as your band to play to it

hrodbert696 likes this.
  19. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Very true! So far I’ve only run loops solo

Veldar likes this.
  20. I'm getting pretty close to trying the battles thing of having a master loop and the band playing off it, I just need to get a 11/10 loop before I make a song out of it

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021