1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Live music spots in Washington, DC?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Kwesi, Aug 27, 2012.

1. So I live 15 minutes from the place and I know nothing about the live music scene. I know about the 9:30 Club, the Black Cat, Blues Alley and the Rock n Roll Hotel but nothing else. Suggestions?

2. Mysterion

Mysterion

Jan 10, 2012
    What kind of music do you like? The DC scene is funny; clubs have to vary their acts to draw crowds, so a lot of places sort of have a 6-crappy-acts-to-one-good-act ratio.

Bohemian Caverns draws a lot of jazz talent--I saw Ron Carter recently; magic.

I haven't been to the newly delux-ified Howard Theater, but I've heard good things. Vernon Reid/Jack Bruce's latest project was just there.

Even the universities have good shows, if you keep your eyes open: Charlie Haden at Georgetown, Bill Frisell at GW.

Twins Jazz can be cool, if trending to older (like me) clientele.

HR-57 is supposed to be ok, but I've not been

Mostly, I've been hitting jazz and blues clubs here. In addition to the big players you've mentioned (9:30, Cat,) there are a ton of small clubs--even pop-ups. What's your poison? Hip Hop, Go-Go, Latin prog, Grindcore? It's all there, if you know where to look...

BTW--I've got tix to Anitbalas upcoming at Black Cat. They always put on a great show. See you there?