live music visualizer effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by embrynat2000, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Does anybody know if there is a program that will take a live feed from an interface and give you a live music visualizer that can be projected from a video projector? Kind of like the itunes visualizer, but live?
    There has got to be something out there....
  2. We use iTunes to do ours (make sure you turn song titles and Apple watermarks off). We record a rehearsal/sound check and then import the songs to iTunes and create a playlist in there that is the same as our set list, or just run an MP3 of click track for the song length if we don't have a recent recording of the song. We then feed the video signal from our Powerbook to the projector via a switch for the songs that work with these style of visuals.

We generally only run the visualizer a couple of songs a set, but it never ceases to amaze me how the patterns don't ever seem to repeat. Our drummers little brother is responsible for all our visual cues, he knows if a visual goes with a certain song, and whether it is an iTunes visual or a QuickTime file so he can cue it to the projector. In his absence, I try to cue it all from beside my amp, but I usually run a more simplified show because of my playing duties.

We use a little VGA switchbox between the Powerbook and the projector to cue the screen to black between songs for source switching. After a few months experimentation, we have the visuals thing down cold now - its now part of what people expect when they come to see us play.

Let me know if you have any luck finding specific software capable of doing the visuals for you - otherwise, should you have any questions about how we do this, feel free to ask.
  3. I found a program called g-force which supposedy does this live, ie. it will take an analog signal and turn it into a visualizer. I'm sure there has to be something like this, as you can get light cans that will "bounce" to the beat of whatever is playing. Me and my guitar player always talk abou tthis, kind of like liquid ligh from the sixtiesm, but with a 21st century ring to it. Very neo psychadelic :cool: