Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Live Performance

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Bassist4Life, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Mike,
    I recently read your feature interview by Max Valentino. In the interview you said that you perform once a month at Stephanie's restaurant in Albany. This interview was done before the release of your CD. Are you still doing solo performances at Stephanie's?

I am inspired by your chordal approach. I have tried my hand at arranging a few tunes with some success. I live in New York State and I would love to see you perform live. I feel that seeing you perform will give me more ideas and further inspiration.

I admire your MTD 535 "C". How would you feel about playing a 6 string instrument? A low B string would open up more harmonic possiblities. Do you feel limited by the low E, or do you like the challenge of making your arrangements work without extending your range below the E string?

Have you considered adding short video segments of your playing to your website? What a treat that would be for your fans!

Joe

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Joel,
    Stephanie's is under new management and I no longer play there. The new owners are a bunch of idiots. They got angry with me because I blaked at playing for $35/night. go figure.

Anyway, I play monthly at 1 Caroline Street Jazz Bistro in Saratoga and it looks like I will be playing regularly at the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge, MA. The dates are on my website at:
    http://www.michaeldimin.com/calendar.htm

If you know of any good venues, in your neck of the woods, please let me know so I may contact them, better yet, book me a gig and get a percentage :D

Thank you for yoyur kind words. I would love, as well, to hear your arrangements. It is just amazing what the bass can do when we start to lift our self-imposed limitations on the instrument.

I don't think that music is dictated/limited by the number of strings. It is limited by our own self-imposed limitations. I moved from the 4 to a 5 string only within the last year and did so "kicking and screaming." I liked the 4 and had no difficulty creating arrangemets for the 4. I got a 5 mostly for my students and found that: a) I did not like the low B and b) loved a high C. I recently played the sister bass to my 535c at Rudy's in NYC. I couldn't get my hands around the neck and felt totally at a loss. I a sure I could get used to it, but right now, I really dig the 535 with the High C string. Not so much for the High C string, but the sound of that bass is totally amazing. It is a palpable difference between it and my 435. The 535 is clearer, more articulate, more sensitive. The ash neck is the difference.

There is one, here:
    http://www.michaeldimin.com/audio.htm

you need Quicktime

Peace in this holiday season
    Mike

3. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Mike,
    $35 is ludicrous! $35 is gas money. Maybe if you tell Stephanie’s that you cover the parts of at least 3 musicians they would pay you $105. They could easily make $35 profit from one customer. I'm sure they could swing more that THAT.

There are a couple of good venues in the Rochester, NY area. The Little Theatre Café (585-258-0412) in the city of Rochester hosts a number of jazz acts. Also, The Lodge at Woodcliff (585-381-4000) in Perinton, NY has some fine jazz. I’ve been there to watch Gap Mangione (Chuck Mangione’s brother) play piano with his band. My guess is that both of these venues are approximately a 4-hour commute for you. It would be great to see you play in Rochester.

I would be absolutely honored for you would hear my arrangements! I would love to post them here for you if that is possible. I am a new user at TB and this is only my 2nd post in the forums. I will post my audio here if it is possible, but I am concerned about copyright. You would know more about this since you are dealing with licensing the arrangements in your new book. One song is “Precious Lord Take My Hand” by T. Dorsey, and the other is “Yesterday” by Lennon/McCartney. It is my guess that posting my audio arrangements without permission is prohibited. Do you have any advice on this issue?

I agree about music not being dictated/limited by the number or strings. However, having the extended range certainly makes some things easier. It could make things more difficult too. With the B string, I could eliminate shifting down the E string to get lower notes. I could catch those notes “next door” rather than traveling “down the street”. With the C string I could extend my solo range and easier separate the registers of the bass for clarity. As you know, it is a challenge to keep things from getting muddy. Conversely, I’d have to worry about dampening those open strings. That would take a technique adjustment. I can mute strings easily on a 4 string, but a 6 would take some getting used to.

You said that you got a 5 string mostly for your students. Do your students also have a high C? If not, how does it benefit your students to have a high C instead of the low B? I don’t know many bassists that have a high C (at least not in my neck of the woods).

The MTD 635 at Rudy’s is a beauty. I saw a photo of it online. I think I found it at Gbase.com. The only thing I would change is having fret markers installed on the fingerboard. I called to get a price quote; and just as I expected, it was out of my range. It never hurts to ask. I am saving a little each week toward my dream bass. I know that I want a MTD. Michael Tobias is the master. The next bass I purchase will be my ideal bass and nothing less. It may take a year, maybe five, but I will have it… oh yes, it will be mine.

Thanks for your reply and thank you even more for your interest in hearing my arrangements. I feel privileged to have a celebrity bassist interested in hearing my work.

Joe

Ps. How did you include the quotes from my initial post to you? I tried to do that for your convenience in this post, but it didn't work out. Sorry if you had to keep scrolling to the prior posting.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Is this a verb that has just come into usage since the Robert Blake trial? Kind of like "postal"?

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Ed,
    It has been too long since you visitee one of my threads. It is great to see you. Actually I was thinking of you the other day, I was in NYC at MOMA. NYC and Museums always remind me of you

Dimin

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
  7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I'm waiting til the crowds cool out a little, thankfully my Gugg ID will get me past the $20 cover.

Gimme a shout the next time you're in the city, let's grab a cup of coffee or Refreshing Beverage.

8. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Mike,

Did you get my audio?

Joe

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I got it and I listened to it. I like it. I wanted some more time to be really thoughtful to help you make it better. With Christmas coming and recording a new disc next week my time has been really at a minimu. Please give me a bit of time.

Happy Hokidays
    Mike

10. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Mike,

Thank you for your willingness to listen to my playing. I know you're a busy guy and I appreciate your time.

I ordered your book and your CD last week and I got it in the mail on Monday. I'm really enjoying the CD. I have a 1-hour commute to work each day and your CD is on my regular rotation. Did you record with your Boomerang or did you multi-track on the CD?

I'm looking forward to reading about reharminization in greater detail when I get a little more time. Prior to getting your book and seeing the picture of an F7 chord (based on the E string), I was using my index finger for the root. I've grown comfortable with that fingering and I debating if I want to switch to the middle finger (as in your illustration). Do you think this adjustment would benefit me in the future when I play more complex arrangements?

Thanks again for all you contribute to the world of bass.

Sincerely,
    Joe

11. Mike --

I had no idea you were in the Upstate New York area -- I used to live in Glens Falls, and commuted to work in Clifton Park every day... went to Caroline Street in Saratoga many times! Perhaps, next time I'm up in that area, I'll get the opportunity to meet you in person.

- brian