live playing

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bassossorus, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Bassossorus

Oct 21, 2004
    For a really great live sound that really cuts and does not get lost at all, whats the best way to mix it at the board? Mic (what kind of mic?) the amp and use a DI? Would a 10 inch be the best size speaker to mike? I want a tight and focused there some special way to eq it at the board? Many thanks! i want to perfect my live sound and be HEARD! :cool:
  2. bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    There's a ton of answers to this one! You're definitely on the right track. Running two lines to the FOH mixer (one mic'ed and one DI) should give your sound guy plenty of tone options to work with. I've run all three ways (DI alone, mic alone and a combo of the two) into various boards with varied results. Although better equipment (speakers, mics, DI's, amps, basses, etc.) will give you a better FOH sound, I've had very good luck with my budget bass mic (CAD 412) on my 15" cab and DI box. I'm a firm believer that the end result is equal parts me (talent and equipment) and the sound guy or PA rig. The more options that you give a sound man, the better results he can give you.

As a side note, running multiple inputs to the FOH board also allows the sound guy to adjust on the fly if he's hearing any bad noise from any particular source. Also allows him/her to keep you in the FOH system if one of your components goes down (bad cable, DI, mic, etc.).