live recording - Nashua, NH

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Wil Davis, Aug 20, 2002.

1. I went along to the local library's lunchtime concert last week, and recorded the Volker Nahrmann Trio...

here's one of the numbers:

Steppin' Out With My Baby

This is just the rough-mix, but I thought I'd share it with you chaps...

- Wil
  2. Wil,
    That's a nice recording. Would you mind sharing how you recorded it and the equipment you used?
    Bob B.
  3. Thanks!

I made the recording as a favour for the double-bass player. I'd heard these chaps play a number of times before, and had suggested to him that it might be a Good Thing to record the trio for posterity. This gig came up at the library - I was originally going to do something really quick and easy (2 PZMs & pre-amps straight to a CD burner), but the more I thought about it, the more I became convinced that this could be a marvellous opportunity to get something really good on record.

I used a pair of SM-81s on the vibes, and a pair of C1000Ses as overheads on the drums (and nothing else); I used a C3000 on the double-bass, and also took an output directly from the bass-amp; I used a couple of Earthworks TC30Ks set up as spaced omnis for ambients.

The pre-amps were HHB Radius-40s and Presonus MP20s; the recorder was a Roland VS-1680.

There was no equalization and no effects used in this particular mix.

The audience was very attentive, and the musicians were very good, as can be heard on the recording.

Nine pieces, each one a gem - best fun I've had in ages... :)

- Wil

PS: The players are:

Volker Nahrmann - double-bass
    Ed Saindon - vibes
    Les Harris Jr - drums
  4. Wil,

I enjoyed listening to that piece the other night. In fact, I listened to it three times and I'm listening to it now. Is there any way you can make the other eight available?
  5. The recording was originally made as a demo, but everyone who's heard it is interested in getting a copy of the CD, so we may publish it if there's enough interest...

- Wil

Here's another from the same set: Avalon
  6. Hey, here's another one: I didn't care too much for this tune - it always seemed to be "done to death", but these guys make a really decent job of it, and it's starting to grow on me -

Black Orpheus

- Wil
  7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Hey Will

This is Fun to hear, I know Volker, he does the set up on my Basses nice guy(nice car)

Im paying off a bass in portland oregon that will need restoration when I get it he'll get the job;)

So you had 8 signals right ?did each get there own track for mix down later?