Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Live recordings on Minidisc

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by yawnsie, Jan 19, 2001.

1. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    A while ago, our band played the Cavern. Speaking to the soundman, I managed to rope him into recording our performance through the soundboard on my friend's Minidisc. He recorded it, but when we played it back the disc kept jumping and missing whole chunks of the songs. Speaking to my friend, he told me that maybe it was the Minidisc automatically putting track dividers when I detected a lull in volume. I confess I don't know anything about Minidiscs, so could anyone tell me if this is true or if there's anything else can be done to prevent this if we recorded this again?

2. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Well, I got it off my friend again, messed around with it, and found it was on Autosync (Or something like that) which automatically divided tracks. It should now record fine. Thanks for the help, Ed.

3. Another couple of problems I had, with possible fixes:

1. On one gig I recorded some of the louder songs skipped a lot. I now make sure the recorder is cushioned on something soft.

2. At first the recorder got plugged into a headphone output on the desk - mistake! - this meant that every time the soundman flipped over to monitor individual channels it got recorded. I now try to get a line out or use a mike as I get a more accurate mix esp. in smaller places.

4. harcore_mac

harcore_mac

Feb 8, 2001
    Hi Yawnsie
    I think im falling in love with you
    your posts really turn me on
    Hope you keep in touch
    harcore_mac
    XXX

5. harcore_mac

harcore_mac

Feb 8, 2001
    Hi Yawnsie
    Its me again
    Youve played at the Cavern!!
    THE Cavern??
    Is that were the beatles first started. I think so, if my memory serves me correctly.
    That must have a wonderful experience?
    Was it?
    Liverpool i think they started.
    Have you got your own bass guitar. well i suppose you must have if your in a band. What do you call yoursleves?

Do you live in liverpool yourslef?

Im from Chicago in the good old US of A
    Hope to keep in touch anyway mate
    'mac

6. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I also got to play at the Cavern,it was fun but a long time ago.Re Minidisc: if you still have all those recordings,all is not lost because there is a function called Combine which allows you to put what currently is 2 tracks together into one longer one.You can also edit out the boring bits with Divide followed by Track Erase for the unwanted parts.It's what I like about Minidisc,there are actually more editing options than with CD recorders,although Hard disc beats them both.But for the money MD is cool.I use mine often for rough mixes and to check the flow of the order of a collection of songs, 'cause there too you can put songs in any order instantly with Track Move.

7. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Well, we played the Cavern again last night, but my Minidisc owning friend had to go down to Reading to see his new-born nephew, so I didn't get to record the gig. Smoothgroover - I'll try putting it on something soft when I get another chance to record with it, as I think the problem is the same as the one you described. And virtual.ray, thanks for the advice but from listening to what was recorded OK last time, I think I'd rather leave the jumps and track markers in, and blame the quality of the performance on that!

And Kevin, or Hardcore Mac as you like to be called, (One of your Crosby wrestling mate's nicknames, is it?) if you're going to try to annoy me at least put some effort into it. Expect some strange posts at Backstage...