1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Live rig vs. practice rig, does anyone else have the same experience?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Jrussblues, Dec 24, 2016.

1. I play whatever's lying around or my rehearsal rig and i end up gassing for new pickups, rig components etc... then i go play my live rig and I'm like nope...everything's pretty incredible sounding and the gas stops until I start practice or rehearsing with my 2nd line stuff again and the cycle starts all over again

gregoire1 and matti777 like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It's never happened to me consciously but it makes sense. Especially if there is a longer period of time between gigs.

3. Gas is normal but I have decided I have enough of everything already.

CaseyJ, Al Kraft, alack and 1 other person like this.
  4. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Amen.

Al Kraft likes this.
  5. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    Double Amen.

On the other hand, around Christmas we are supposed to treat ourselves with gifts, aren't we...?

6. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    To each his own but I always understood it to be a season of giving to others :)

7. I believe the definition of crazy is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome. :D

What you are experiencing is a problem to me also. Which is why I bought a Sans-Amp several years ago. Now I've gone through a bunch of pre-amp pedals. Good ones seem to smooth out the rough edges of the back line gear I have to use.

8. I never understood having separate practice/rehearsal/live rigs. Ive always looked a rig to cover everything.

9. Yeah, it would be cheaper to get rid of all but one but it's super convenient to have everything already where it needs to be.

Frankjohnson and Gearhead17 like this.
  10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I have a smaller cab in my practice room. Doesn't sound the same, but I don't expect it to.

11. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    I mark "other" on all the forms I fill out

I enjoy giving to other

Bassdirty and Ulf_Hansson like this.
  12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    While I notice the differences between my own gig rig and whatever is available, I'm always comfortable using someone else's amp so I don't have to schlep my own. I've never come across a supplied rig that made me second guess my own rig.

It's always fun when the supplied amp is something really different, like an SVT.

13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i used to have several rigs: in the days of 'heavy'. but since i went GK (class D, neo speakers), i use the same combo for both rehearsals and gigs: makes things easier for me and so i now use one rig. but i realize diffferent folks have different needs/situations. one rig won't do for everyone, i'm just glad i can get away with it.

14. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I use the same rig. Lightweight stuff makes it easy, and you can also work on your gig sound at rehearsal.

s0c9 likes this.
  15. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Same here...

16. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    Well, well, one thing does not exclude the other, does it?

17. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    It certainly does not. I was speaking to what I believe. But that doesn't preclude anybody from doing something to treat themselves.

18. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Sounds like you need a better practice rig...

19. And I am just the opposite my rig in my music room is my 1975 Ampeg SVT with 8*10 cabinet.
    I no longer use it live so, everything I do use live doesn't hold a candle to it.

20. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The entire setup at practice is so different from live I just don't worry about it. Just being able to hear myself at practice is a win.

Ulf_Hansson likes this.