Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Live Scenes from New York

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Maurice ElDarko, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Is it me or does Mike Portnoy sounds **** on backing vocals????

Anyway I bought this album today and was quite pleased, seeing as all I've heard of Dream Theater until now are crappy bootlegs, which are...well....crappy.

But this 3 CD deal is pretty tops indeed. I've only gotten through the first two so far,

What the hell did Myung do to his solo in Metropolis part 1?????

Did anyone else buy this album, or the DVD,
    I'm thinkin of getting the DVD myself actually...

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Yes, I couldn't agree more. He's an awesome drummer, but please...PLEASE take the mic away from him. I cringe whenever I listen to any live material from that album where Portnoy is trying to sing backup. It's like nails on the chalk board. :(

3. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    only thing i liked on it was the piano solo. DT bores me. awesome/brilliant musicians with no groove whatsoever. just my opinion. :D

4. mangle

mangle

Dec 17, 2001
    Guayaquil, ECUADOR
    you are right, portnoy´s singing sucks...and the tone of myung isn´t quite good , and the distorsion in his solos dont let you hear what is going on

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Portnoy: Away from the mic. Away from the producer/editor booth (for reference, see video).

As far as I can tell, Myung screwed the Metropolis Pt 1 solo up big time...but I had to listen a couple times to figure it out. His tone covers him up pretty well...and that's not something to be proud of. Yick.

6. Portnoy doesn´t have indeed a very good voice..but what the hell?? They´re DREAM THEATER.

Every piece of their songs compensates it:)

Don´t say that DT hasn´t got the groove..

Listen to "groovy" songs like 6:00, fatal tragedy.

bahhhhh

Myung has a very particular "live tone" indeed. That covers his solos sometimes..

Maybe because of the amps he uses..A mesa tri-axis guitar amp modified..

I´ve just been listening to some musics of the new album SDoIT . and there he gets a sweet tone..with plenty of punch and definition.

DT

7. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    I got the new album over christmas. If you listen to the backing vocals they have going now with Mike and John compared to what they sounded like a few years ago, it is light years better now. At least they are trying.