1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Live set up

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Fadge, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Fadge

Fadge

Nov 10, 2018
    Hi all, I'm new to the live gig thing and was wondering what the best on stage set up would be? The venues we are playing are small and I have an 80 W combo amp. We have a small P.A that guitars and mics go through but I'm not sure if I should mic up my amp as well and put it through the P.A with a condenser or something. We have no external desk. Thanks.

2. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    80W combo? Sounds like you need to DI to the PA, and use the amp as a monitor. I wouldn’t mic the cab. Unless you are trying to play with a lot of distortion.

What style of music?
    What’s PA speakers do you have?
    What PA do you have?

3. Fadge

Fadge

Nov 10, 2018
    Hi bass and reeds, thanks for the reply. Yeah we have small portable P.A with like eight channels and two I think 18" speakers and two 12" inch speakers on top and mainly play rock stuff. I think your suggestion about a d.I box is worth looking into but would I be loud enough with just the combo playing pub gigs? Thanks again for getting back.

4. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Two 18” subs isn’t small. Unless they’re passive and you’re not driving them with enough power. But assuming your power is adequate, you could play most any venues with that.

But you may not have the 18s, and even if you have just the two 12s, you would still be fine.

So yes, no power issues. I’d set it up at a practice and try it out. Especially if you’re still new at this.

Fadge likes this.
  5. Please get a good look at the make and model of your speakers and what I assume is an 8 channel powered mixer. I have my doubts that you are using 18" and 12" speakers. With this info we can help you.

BTW buy a sans am DDDI or a zoom b3 for your DI

MrLenny1 and Fadge like this.
  6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    What do you mean by 'no external desk', I find that really odd.

The answer to this is really complicated, really varied, and really individual for each player and each band. But, I firmly believe that the best way to start, before maybe changing it up once you know more, is to buy a preamp pedal with a DI built in. I like the MXR M80, a lot of people prefer the Sansamp units. There are hundreds, in every price category from the £15 Behringer BDI21 right the way to to the £1000 Noble Preamp. What this means is you plug your bass into the preamp, and then the preamp splits the signal to the PA and to your amp. The big benefit of this is that splitting. It means that you can do whatever you want to your amp on stage and it won't affect what the audience hears. This is a good thing. In fact, a small pedal preamp like this (ideally on a little board with a tuner, but let's not get too far ahead) will serve you really well in lots of places. For instance, if you turn up at a gig where you're sharing amps with another band, then you'll still sound like you normally do as the pedal are doing all of the work.

di-boxes-header-650x407.

Mushroo and Fadge like this.
  7. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Use your combo for your onstage monitoring. Run your signal into a DI box that will split it, with the unbalanced portion going to the amp and the balanced side feeding the PA. Simple.

musicman7722 and Fadge like this.
  8. ^This

musicman7722 likes this.
  9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    There is a very nice Radial JDI in the Gear for Sale here at $110 which is IMO a good deal. No affiliation with seller.

Fadge likes this.
  10. Fadge

Fadge

Nov 10, 2018
    Thanks for all the info guys..lots to think about.

11. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    80 watt combo amp is not god for gigging.
    Look for 300 watts and a 15 inch speaker or 2x10 cab.
    Happy hunting.