Live setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rygelxvi, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Direct Box, No amp

1 vote(s)
  2. Modeling Box (ie Sansamp, POD, etc) No amp

4 vote(s)
  3. Amp with seperate DI to PA

41 vote(s)
  4. Amp with post preamp internal DI to PA

85 vote(s)
  5. Amp with pre preamp internal DI to PA

37 vote(s)
  6. Amp miked

21 vote(s)
  7. Amp Only, Don't ever use PA

37 vote(s)
  8. I just plug into a Carrot

15 vote(s)
  9. Other

7 vote(s)
  1. rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
  2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Amp miked. But that's just because my Ampeg B-100R has no D.I. output.

Actually, I'd prefer amp miked AND post-preamp D.I.
  3. Kruser

Aug 13, 2001
    MY vote for amp miked, cause we had no monitors for my instrument. Never tried a DI output, but time will come!
  4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Amp only. For two reasons. One, we don't play big clubs so my amp and cabs are more than enough to handle the job. Two, I didn't agonize over every link in my signal chain just to run through my bands crappy 1x15 yamaha PA.
  5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I think if I had the choice, I'd go amp/ mic'ed
  6. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I tend to rely on my Sansamp Bass Driver DI to send a decent signal to the PA... whatever comes after that is primarily for my stage monitoring (unless we're in a smaller venue that I've been able to get my own rig to... in which case there's probably no PA support but I'll be running through the SABDDI into my Ashdown setup).

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Depends on the gig, but normally I have my cab miked.
  8. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    Most of the time my cab would be enough for the size of the venue, but I'll run a Direct Out Post to the board and add just a little bit to the mix just to spread it around. In all reality, the cabinet and stage sound would be enough for most of our gigs. If we are recording the gig, I'll run a Shure Beta 52 on the cabinet. Most larger venues that are running sound for us, they will have a Pre Direct Out box which is irritating, but I'm not one to complain. For those venues, I think I'll start bringing my own mic since they seem to always be short on mics for the bassist. ;)
  9. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Voted "Amp with post preamp internal DI to PA" as this is what I have been doing lately. It it depends on the gig though, sometimes DI only (Sansamp), sometimes amp or small combo + Sansamp. Have not played "amp only" in ages though, only for rehearsals.
  10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I voted amp with separate DI. Amp DIs can be noisy and sometimes a problem (especially with a tube amp) I either use only a Countryman DI or if I need something behind me so I can hear myself I bring an amp too. I would prefer a Countryman DI only for every gig because its a lot lighter than an SVT!
  11. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Even though both of my amps (Clarus, Eden TT) have DI outs I still tend to use the BDDI if the house can take a DI. Reason one is that it is fault tolerant (a failure in my amp won't kill the house sound), and reason two is that I can send a thicker sound to the PA and keep my stage sound cleaner. Even if the bass gets turned down in the PA the BDDI has the EQ to keep it sounding full.
  12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Being the sole "other" vote so far, I use both a DI (from either my Eden Navigator in my big rig, or from my Walkabout in my mini rig) and mic'd cab. When there is only one channel available to the board, I let the sound tech decide, but I usually push for mic'd cab. Even with uncolored cabs, I find that I get a bit more articulation out of the mic'd signal. That said, it is nice to have the DI as well, though. Especially when someone (usually me) gets too wild on stage and knocks the mic stand off kilter a bit. :D :bassist: :eek:

As for pre or post EQ, I don't tend to use much EQ, and my effects all come before the input to my preamp/head, so either way works fairly well for me.

Later, Tom.
  13. Demeter VTBP201S w/jensen transformer.
    Every sound guy loves this DI. Never a had a problem. I always go pre, I don't use any effects. Just this year I had two sound guys come up to and tell how great it was to work with my signal and how nice the bass sounded. I highly recommend the Dem.
  14. Had a quick question for the guy's that mic there set up.

Where do you guy's position the mic, do you put it right up against the grill or do you guys position it back a bit from the grill? Would you guys mic 15's or would you guys rather mic your 10's? Any suggestions on what attributes to look for in purchasing a mic for bass cabs?

Thanks guys, sorry to stray from this post a bit, if you think it should be on its own, let me know.

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It depends on the cab as to which speaker I mic, but generally I place the mic on the edge of a cone, straight on, about 1" back from the edge of the grill.

And always use a mic stand. Draping a mic over the top of the cab, and dangling the mic by its cord does not work well with bass. First, you will rattle the mic against the grill. Second, as most instrument mics are (more or less) directional, you will be missing out on some of the tones you are trying to capture, and you will be picking up more reflected sound, which can muddy up your tone.

16. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    You have to experiment with it, but a rule of thumb is to place the mic at a distance of 1" away for every diameter inch of the cone. 10" cone? 10 inches away.

I find that "rule" a little excessive and not very practical as it applies to bass. As tombowlus suggested, I also mic the edge of the cone, and about 2-3" from the cone itself. For close micing, I would think that the 10's would mic better then a 15", especially if your running full range into both cabs/speakers. I would try both and see what sounds best. If you bi-amp, maybe you need a mic on a 10" and a second mic on a 15" if that's your configuration.

Mic Attributes? Full range respose....

Generally speaking, good kick mics such as your AKG D112, or your Shure Beta 52's should do a really nice job for you. They have good full bottom response, as well as smooth higher frequency response as well.

I mic bass cabs for both recording and live re-enforcement with Shure Beta 52's, but I'm sure there's hundreds of other prefectly good mics that you can also use and achieve similar or better results with.
  17. I generally use whatever the in house sound tech wants. generally they mike the amp but a few of the places we play locally run a seperate DI Box as well. I like the combo of the DI and the mic mix.
  18. I usually take a DI signal straight from the bass (pre everything) and mic a cab as well, both as player and sound engineer. I find that having a totally clean DI signal plus a microphone picking up the amp tone and any effects gives the best of both worlds. I usually high pass the mic signal at about 80 Hz and use the DI for the real low end. Don't be shy about wanting to mic your cab or do things a bit differently. Any soundman worth his salt should be willing to try it.
  19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I whole-heartedly agree with Mark. Well said, and good idea about high passing the mic signal. If you are getting good lows from the DI, high passing the mic'd signal should help to keep things nice and tight.