Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

live show headphones (In-ear monitors)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hookha, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Hookha

Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    I see the video "amazing grace" by Victor Wooten and i noticed that i have little headphone in his ear

so which headphone is good for live showes?
    not expensive headphone!

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I don't know where to start giggling.

3. Hookha

Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
  4. I think he is trying to say you get what you pay for. And I don't think that is a headphone it is a in-ear monitor.

5. Hookha

Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    yes it is
    how much something like that cost?

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    They're not cheap. In Australia a decent set costs about Aus$2000, though equipment here is usually expensive compared to other countries. So it might be an idea to check out your local music store. I recomend going for a decend brand like Shure or Sennheiser.

That said, this isn't really recoding equip, so I'm going to move this to misc.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I you don't want to spend much money, then IEM's probably aren't for you.

8. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    You know, we had practice Saturday and we ran everything through our monitor wedge setup. I have Behringer headphones that I got for about $10 (on sale) that I use to practice bass with (mp3's and bass through the mixing board so that I don't disturb the family) and we each listened to it while we all played played. No drums in the mix, of course.

We are now considering having our drummer use them as his monitors instead of giving him his own wedge and having him battle his drum volume. I think they'll do the job... he'll hear everyone else's vocals and instruments clearly. Of course these are full-size recording-style headphones, not the little IEM types.

9. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    For a bass player, the Ultimate Ears 5 EB (the EB!!!!!) might do the trick. I use them in one side, and keep my left side open. The extended bass part helps. I think you could probably get some custom molds done and maybe fit them on? Anyways, big difference from some of the decent headphone-earbud types I had. I think Shure E5s might suit you as well.

10. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    Shure's or Westone's is my choice! I like Shure E5C or Westone UM1 or 2 myself!

11. The problem with good bass monitors (or earphones) is that in a proper set up, you need to get a set that has multiple drivers. This brings the cost up substantially.
    My choice (if cost was not a consideration) are:

Ultimate Ears 10's, 7's or 5's
    Westone 2
    Sure 5

If you want cheap, then look at the rest of the Sure line or even Ulitimate Ears have the cheaper earphone models for IPODs.. They also got a great review from Ilounge.

12. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Personally I don't think that these headphones are a must... They are a cool add-on, but waaaaaay too fancy add-on for most players...

13. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Well, if your band was using an IEM system, and you were given a shure wireless transmitter, what would you use? Have you been in this situation?

We don't have any amps, except for mine. So, if you want to hear anyone, you gotta use something.

14. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    o_O
    Sounds really weird... We use small 30-35W combos as preamps and monitors, and besides that get another monitor cab... Such a completely weireless system is wrong IMO...

15. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Where are you playing? We played to 350 last Friday, I seriously doubt I am going to hear a 35w combo over those peeps. Is this really to packed houses?

Hate to dog your answer, but coming here saying IEMs are wrong and then saying 35W combos are the way to go is.....well..........

[​IMG]

16. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    My band uses a full IEM system and while its pricey, its worth every. I use the plain old Sure E1's, but am waiting for the right price to upgrade to E5's or an equivalent dual driver earbuds. Our drummer bit the bullet and bought a set of UltimateEars (UE600, or something like that) and raves about them every chance he gets.

17. and enjoy my Westone UM-1's.

Although a single balanced-armature driver - they have very nice bass response, and work very well even with kick, snare, toms in the buds along with bass/guitars/vocals.

Only 100 bucks too.

Jay