1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Live sound bass subs question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mcbassdude, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Got a question about live sound. I'm looking to get some bass subs for our PA. Leaning toward passive as opposed to powered.
    I'd like to hear your thoughts and recommendations.
    Using them for club gig's. Most of the clubs are 300 - 400 capacity, however I'd rather have more than I need than not enough.
    I'd also like to avoid super heavy gear ala dual 18 type stuff.
    Thanks for the input in advance.

2. Bump - Anyone, Anyone?

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've used the powered Mackie SWA-1501's, and they were OK, but can't compare to my EAW SB-220's. The Mackies have 500 watts each into a single 15. With the EAW's, each one gets its own bridged PLX 2402. The EAW cabs have two twelves, and weigh about 100 pounds each. They have incredible punch and are very tight sounding.

I'm in the middle between powered an unpowered speakers. If the powered ones have enough power, they're easier to haul and hook up. But there's nothing like a couple thousand watts of sub per side. Mackie seems to be capitalizing on EAW's technology, but I don't know if they plan to upgrade their powered subs, which are getting to be a little long in the tooth.

4. Thunder Lizard

Thunder Lizard

Dec 7, 2005
    Lethbridge, AB
    Canadian Distributor, Basson Sound Equipment
    Having used both kinds as an engineer over the last 16 years..... go passive with a really good power amp. I've never found the built-in amps to truly punch as hard as a great PA amp.
    Plus, with a passive system, you can alter the crossover point, change the slope, and tune with the crossover first, and IMPO, end up with a more finely adjusted system in the end.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    All that adjustability can actually work against you if you're not experienced. To me that's where the powered PA market is best suited. Personally I'd also go passive, but I've tuned a PA two hundred in my time.