Live Sound PA Speakers for under $2,000 (pair)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Creep, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Creep

Mar 12, 2004
    Hey all, I know that this is not a live sound forum for PA systems but I really appreciate the feedback I get from the folks at this forum. So with that being said, my question is, what PA speaker do you all like/reccommend for doing small/med size venues that still give you a big venue sound (as far as quality). I guess I'm kinda looking for the whole Bose smaller is better thing. Well thanks.
  2. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I can't get away with buying a set, but we use these at work, if we have to do sound reinforcement. I'm always shocked at how good they sound.
    JBL EON G2 15 (Powered)
    ... I'd love to run 4 of them just to see how they sound.
  3. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Go to They have a live sound & production forum. The guys are super smart and will help you with some reccomendations far better than I think anyone here can. I am not saying that we are a bunch of idiots here. All I am saying is if you want live sound help, ask the people who do live sound, much like going to a bass forum for bass help.
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Check out the Yorkville Unity series. Not as compact as Bose or Eons, but workable in a lot more venues.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  6. Creep

Mar 12, 2004
    Well I've kinda narrowed it down to the Mackie sm450 with the 1604vlz or a good passive system with EAWs. Please keep the suggestions comming. Munji do you or have you used the Mackie active speakers? what do you think?
  7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I've used both the 450s and the 1530s. I have a sound gig tomorrow where I'm using a pair of 450s for monitors. I've never used them as mains. IMHO, you're going to want subs for anything save vocals-only if you go with the 450s. The 1530s are quite nice sounding for the money, but are not too compact.

Personally, I prefer the separate amp/speaker approach. If something fails, you still have some useful pieces left that way. Easier to move by yourself too, in the case of the bigger speakers.

Finally, please try out a few other boards besides the 1604. It's OK, but the A&H is less money these days (Mix Wizard 16:2DX), and has a few features that tip things its way for many users. There are plenty of other choices too, like the new Crest board which should be appearing any time now.