Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

live track of my jazz/fusion(?) group

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by narud, Mar 5, 2004.

1. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    so, ive been critical of other peoples clips in the past and have never posted anything myself so here it goes. all feedback is welcome. if you think its cool or you think i cant write its all good :D

chambers
    pocket change

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    sounds great!

I really dig this, great vibe, very smooth, but tense at the same time.

Right up my alley, good job! Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    thanks for the kind words. i uploaded another tune that's in my sig.

4. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    well, time for more (mostly) kind words, then.

as wrong robot said, there is a certain cool vibe to it and a feeling of fun and musicality definitely comes through.

at some passages, though, it sounded a bit "standard",
    sort of "THE afro-cuban 6/8 feeling" (which it probably isn't, now that i said it ;) ).

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    :D funny you say that because when i first brought in that chart we were playing it with a more loose jazz kind of feel without the back beat on 4. we ended up switching because we all thought it would sound better with the more standard groove.

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Joe, I've said it before at the Fodera Yahoo group and I'll say it again now: Very nice. Your writing shows a level of maturity well beyond your age. Also, once I said I didn't like the sound of your Fodera, I was wrong. Upon hearing it in the context(which is the only way that matters) it sounds great. Very full but articulate.

7. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    Nice one! I liked that a lot.

Andy

Keep it up mate!

8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    thanks man. youve voiced some of the same concerns i have about players and music at the fodera group so you know i take your opinions seriously. there's things im not completely happy with but ive got a long time to fix em'.

with the fodera, theres times where id like another sound, but ive accepted to stop obsessing about things like that. there were people over at the fodera group saying things like they wanted to sell there current fodera so they could get one built to get matt garrison's sound. that mentality doesnt make sense to me. my bass doesnt remind me much of anyone elses tone and i like it that way. eventually you need to start actually making music with these things.

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Nice work. Your playing reminds me of Jimmy Haslip.

10. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    Greatest thing I've ever read on TB.

Nice playing by the way.

11. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I downloaded jecklandhyde.. Very cool!:)

12. wow, that was great,do you guys have a cd out yet, i'd get one if you did! btw, wat style would you call that? i like that sound and i want to know some other bands that play that kind of music!

i hope i am not getting off the topic though!
    Charlie

13. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    no studio cd yet. we'll be recording in may. i do give out free live cd's like mad for promotion though so if you want one pm me your address and ill send you one. i only have 10megs of space from my isp, otherwise id just post of them as mp3's.

as for the syle, id guess it would get lumped into jazz/fusion but that's why i had the question mark becaue i dont really know. some other bands to check out -
    yellowjackets-i like almost all their albums, but some of it is kind of mellow so id recommend mint jam and time squared.

weather report-tale spinnin and black market albums especially

return to forever- romantic warrior

herbie hancock- thrust

and thats just the well known stuff. i could go on for days about this music.

14. Wow, really great stuff! Nice playing all over, and I dig your tone!!!
    Impressing.

15. Wow! That is impressive. I really enjoyed that one. Great stuff... very well done.

P.S. I also liked "Recipe for Disaster" a lot. Send me tickets for your next gig!!!! :)

16. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    thanks again guys. just did our regular on wednesday and it was the emptiest room weve played to yet. our local music scene got taken over by dj's and people dont really support live music anymore. playing this kind of music doesnt really help either. hell, i saw frank gambale play at the baked potato to a grand total of around 10 people.

17. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I do not listen to this type of music at all...not that I don't like it. This sounded sssSSSSSSAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMOOOOOoooooottthhh

18. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I like your use of chords. It sounded good. Too much sax. His solo was way too long. Maybe it is me. I just cant stand to listen to sax players any more. You sax player played the melody and took a majority of the solo section. Let your piano player take it for a while. He only had about 32 bars of the solo section. Nice melody! It is hard to write melody lines. Good work and sounded good. :p

19. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    hey, at least you gave it a shot :D

20. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i on the other hand am a wayne shorter/michael brecker freak (could you have any more 2 different styles :p ) jeckl and hyde isnt one of our open tunes as i wrote it with a set arrangement and the solo sections are fixed. we are going into the studio next month but will have an alto player with a much different style playing on this tune as our current horn player is moving. our current guy is more of a straight ahead guy with a more laid back style.