Live Version of Haitian Fight Song?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Keith Rawlings, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Keith Rawlings

Keith Rawlings Gold Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. I was wondering if any of our fellow TB’ers knew of a live version of Haitian Fight Song that is in the same tempo as the original studio version on the Clown? The only version I have been able to find is on the Charles Mingus Quintet + Max Roach album (the green one with Mingus bowing on the cover). This version is much slower than the original; it also seems to lack the sheer “angry groove” of the original. Thanks.

2. There is this one as well, The Clown has the best version I know about. This one is faster, lighter, less brutality. Nice, though.
    Of course, an Impulse session probably had a much better vibe than a Riverside or whatever label the Clown was originally done for!

3. Keith Rawlings

Aug 3, 2019
    II BS seems like a revved up version of the song - but still it’s a studio take. I’ve listened to so many Mingus live albums and he never seems to do Haitian Fight Song. It’s such a powerful performance that I would think he would have ended a recorded live show or two with it at least a couple of times in his earlier career.

4. Fables of Fabus seemed to be that for him. I agree with you, however. This is my favorite performance of his:

Keith Rawlings likes this.
  5. Keith Rawlings

Aug 3, 2019
    That album is phenomenal! Dannie Richmond is an absolute monster on drums.

damonsmith likes this.
  6. Years ago a drummer was driving me home from a gig and said he didn't think much of Dannie's playing. I made him come in listen to this LP start to finish. He left a changed man!

Sean Riddle and Keith Rawlings like this.
  7. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    While it’s not Mingus himself, this is a pretty stacked version of the Mingus Dynasty from Montreux in 1980, recorded and released as a live album. Haitian Fight Song starts around 41:20 and among other things has one of my favorite trombone solos of all time. This isn’t the whole gig (Better Get Hit in Your Soul is missing), but some of the things on the video are not on the record, so between the two you can get the whole gig I guess

vilshofen and Keith Rawlings like this.
  8. vilshofen

vilshofen

Dec 27, 2007
    Casablanca
    Keith Rawlings likes this.
  9. Keith Rawlings

Aug 3, 2019
  10. Keith Rawlings

Aug 3, 2019
    That’s a great version of the song. It’s pretty amazing that it takes two bassists to attempt recreate Mingus’ sound.

11. Keith Rawlings

Aug 3, 2019
    I downloaded the Bremen recording on my Apple Music and Haitian Fight Song isn’t on there. It’s really good though — particularly the ‘64 set. The ‘75 set is Mingus on steel strings with a thin and amplified sound. They must have done a DI of his amp sound into the recording mixer.