Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Live version of Portrait of Tracy

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Chris Tarry, May 3, 2002.

1. Chris Tarry

Chris Tarry

Mar 20, 2000
    New York
    Endorsing Artist: Moollon Basses, D'Addario, Markbass, GruvGear
    Hi Everyone,

Just posted a live version of Jaco's Portrait of Tracy that I did with my nine piece jazz group while on tour in Canada a few weeks back. It's such an amazing tune and works great in a group setting!

Check it out at http://www.christarry.com/ctcclive.html if ya get a chance.

Thanks,
    Chris Tarry

2. You're stalking me, aren't you? Welcome to Talkbass!

Let me do the honors (once again), for those who don't know, Chris Tarry is a fellow Vancouver bassist who some of you might recognize as the man (and the bass) behind 'Metalwood'. That, in addition to many other projects he has going (seemingly all at once). His most recent one being his nine piece group called "Chris Tarry's Collective Conscience" . Chris is also very much involved in eduaction, as well as in the "Vancouver Bass Conference" which features such artists as Alain Caron and Gary Willis. Check out Chris Tarry at his website and listen to some of his COOL mp3's.

(Ok Chris, I'll send you the bill.)

PS - I just noticed your "Moderator" title (?), and the fact that you've been at Talkbass for 2 years now. I take back everything I said above. :)

3. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Nice arrangement of the head, I really dig what you did with it man. Cool performance.

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    worth the 23mb download!

:)

5. i'll check it out-

by the way, what are you moderator of, chris? i don't see your name by any of the forums.

6. Chris Tarry

Chris Tarry

Mar 20, 2000
    New York
    Hey thanks for the kind words!

Sorry about the shear size of the download... It is posted in smaller sections as well for those with slower connections. I'll have to ask the guys in the band to take shorter solos next time!

I was originally in the "Ask the Pro's" section at talk bass a long time ago but ended up being to busy on the road for any internet stuff..(Including Acitve Bass). It's the calm before the summer touring and I am finally getting my website updated and enjoying spending some time online with my bass buddies!

It takes a lot of time to keep track of "X"!!;)

Thanks X for the kind words! We still have to hook up at a Vancouver gig sometime!

All the best CT

7. Chris Tarry

Chris Tarry

Mar 20, 2000
    New York
    Ooops sorry about the hands down thing... not sure how that happend... My mouse is playing tricks on me....

Thanks,
    CT

8. Your welcome. (I'll do most anything for cash) ;) I'll make it a point to check out your local gigs this season. I guess you can't divulge your Van. Jazzfest schedule without the guys at Coastal going ballistic. I'll be off to Montreal (to visit my TB buddy, Yvon) for their jazzfest. You're not doing that one, are you?

9. Chris Tarry

Chris Tarry

Mar 20, 2000
    New York
    Hey X,

Actually just played the Jazz Fest press release event on Wednesday so everything is now official. I posted all my tour and jazzfest dates at http://www.christarry.com/dates.html

I am not in town for the whole thing but while I'm here I am lucky to be involved with some real great shows. No shows with my own band but some very fun Metalwood and sideman stuff.

Look forward to meeting you in person!

Thanks,
    CT

10. Interesting take of the Jaco song! I like the horns in the beginning a lot. Nice bass tone, as well.

11. Chris Tarry

Chris Tarry

Mar 20, 2000
    New York
  12. Very nice arrangement Chris. In all honesty the solos were painfully long, but the band does sound great. Good work!

13. Chris Tarry

Chris Tarry

Mar 20, 2000
    New York
    Glad you enjoyed it. Your right the solo's are long! But being a live recording and a jazz group that kind of stuff can get a little hard to controll.

Thanks,
    CT