Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Live Volume.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leftseptember, Aug 3, 2003.

1. leftseptember

leftseptember

Jun 26, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    So, I have a Crown XLS402 Poweramp (260w @ 8ohm). I am currently running an 8ohm Avatar 2x10 through it. However, my 8ohm Avatar 4x10 is coming tomorrow. So, I will have basically 260w running to each cab.

Is this going to be enough stage volume for small gigs and practice, or should I look into bridging the amp into 4ohms, and daisy-chaining the cabs? I'd really rather not have to run the amp at 4ohm bridged though.

I'm just looking to have enough volume, without having to clip the hell out of the amp.

2. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    ...on what sort of stuff you're playing, and how loud you are.

I play in a semi-acoustic trio with a drum machine. The drums are kept separate, running through a pair of 8-ohm cabs via a Carvin DCM 1000.

The vocals, flute and acoustic guitar run through the main PA, which is a Carvin FET450 going trough a pair of 8 ohm cabs.

The bass is run just through my rig.

Admittedly, this is a small-scale, low-volume deal. But it works great for us.

The point is, this same rig wouldn't work if we played metal.

So, what do you play?

3. leftseptember

leftseptember

Jun 26, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I totally forgot to mention that...sorry.

We're a "rock" band. Think of...Thrice.

Check out our page Burn By Example for an idea of our sound.

Technically, we're loud. Loud drummer, and 2 half stacks. So...yeah, it's gotta be loud. Right now, with just the 2x10, I can be heard quite well...even felt. But the amp clips. So, I figured that adding a 4x10 will be like doubling my current rig.

4. Go ahead and bridge that poweramp. You'll be running 260W @ 8 stereo. For 520W total. Or just bridge mono 4 ohms @ 1140W. That should take care of clipping, if you're happy with your volume.

Why are you afraid to use a device in the manner that it was designed for?

5. aladdin

aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    Hey Leftseptember,

I listened to the MP3s. I like the sound of your
    band. I could not hear the bass guitar well at
    all though. The bass drum drowns you out
    completely. Your tone is also in the same range
    as the bass drum. You might think about tweaking
    the treble contol a bit to put out a little more
    attack and bite onto the front end of the note.
    That would help distinguish the notes out better.

Just one man's humble opinion.

-Aladdin

6. leftseptember

leftseptember

Jun 26, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Hey aladdin, I know what you mean. I don't actually believe there is much bass on those songs yet. We are in the process of finishing our demo, and I haven't actually recorded all of the bass yet. This week we finish, so I will take the treble idea into consideration.

Also, do you think a kind of growly tone will fit well with our sound? I want to experiment when we go back into the studio.

-L

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Coming from someone who knows well what you're talking about with Thrice, which I assume, your band's also along the lines of bands like Grade as well. I'd imagine you're looking for more of a warm lower-mid tone.

I'm going to suggest you try the 4x10 by itself without the 2x10. Unless you have an 8Ohm 2x10 and 4Ohm 4x10. Otherwise, your 2x10 will be getting more power sent to it per speaker than your 4x10, which could make for it being a bit awkward of a sound, as far as volume's concerned.

Your 4x10 should be more than fine though.
    I play with a fairly loud band in a tight practice space (in fact, it's a little basement). My guitarist uses a mesa triple rect amp model quite frequently and I can punch through pretty easily with my 4x10 very easily.

EQing things out well could help you too. :)