Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Liverpool are European Champions!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, May 25, 2005.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    What an amazing game!!! :D

Liverpool vs. AC Milan in the final of the Champions League win on penalties!

I´ve been a Liverpool supporter for as long as I can remember. The season was disappointing in the domesting league, finishing in 5th place, just outside of CL qualifying seat.

But tonight we faced AC Milan, after 45 minutes Liverpool were 0-3 down but in an amazing six minute spell in second half they scored three goals and the game was tied!

Jerzy Dudek made a great save late in the second half of the extra time and then made two great saves in penalties. He even pulled the famous "wobbly legs" that Bruce Grobbelaar made famous in the 1984 penalties against Roma in the finals. (also won on penalties there).

Ahh, I´m so happy now, I can´t even belive it!

For the critics, a team that wins Juventus (winners of the Italian league), Chelsea (winners of the English premier league) and AC Milan (2nd place in the Italian league) surely deserves to be crowned champions despite of not so good domestic form!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

[​IMG]

Oh, for those who are interested, this is the fifth time that Liverpool wins this cup so the trophy is theirs to keep! :D

2. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    That was a great game. I'm just now getting into soccer(football), but that has to be one of the best games ever.

Milan just lost their head for about 8 minutes, and it really cost them.

I don't know what kind of penalty kick Serginho was trying for, but that was a pathetic attempt. As if Milan didn't have enough bad luck in the 2nd half, they miss their first p.k., which really put the pressure on.

Shevchenko could have done better on his try, but I'm not sure Dida would have made the save he needed to after that.

I was chearing for Milan, but it was a great game nonetheless.

Congrats to Liverpool.

3. Bah, I was on Milan's side but I can't believe the saves Dudek made in extra time (the 2 consecutive ones, in particular - amazing). Liverpool is a good team, they deserved to win it. But what a way to go down for Milan. The fact that it happened so quickly makes me view it as a huge Milan mistake and not a great Liverpool comeback. Honestly, how does that happen?

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It was a clear tactical switch by Benitez.

So, in the first half Liverpool had two in central midfield to Milan's three, which meant that Kaka could get too much space , as Alonso and Gerrard were already occupied.

This allowed Kaka to get in the defence-splitting passes to Shevchencko and Crespo with devastating results .

But at the start of the second half , Benitez sent on Hamann, to make 3 in Liverpool's midfield and to counter Kaka's threat.

Gerrard was now free to make runs forward and inspire the goals, while Hamann looked after Kaka.

Also - Benitez went to three at the back - in the first half, the back 4 had been pulled apart and Traori was playing attackers onside , but with a more compact 3 (closer together) it was harder to do this.

It was a tactical stroke of genius!!

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    And to think I betted my money on Milan :meh:

Me at first half; YESS!
    Second Half;
    3-1 it's ok
    3-2 it's still ok
    3-3 arg crap, they can still win
    After the penalties :scowl:

Dudek is a great keeper, but I have my doubts on the way he stopped some of those penalties. I've been a keeper myself for a while, and I'm pretty sure the keeper can do what he want on his line, but it is forbidden for the keeper to move towards the player before he has touched the ball.

Anyway, great match :)

6. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Terrific game (actually shown twice here in the soccer wasteland on soccer hating ESPN ;) ). Kaka is an amazing distributor. But Milan's penalty kicks were really rubbish. The first one was Baggio'd completely, and while Dudek saved well, the great Shevschenko's effort was weak as well.

Compare those efforts to Arsenal's stellar penalty kicks in the FA cup final. 5 - 5 and all outstanding. (And I am decidely NOT a Gooner)

7. You need to get the Fox Soccer Channel then....I love it! Great game yesterday and I have to hand it to Liverpool for turning it on in the second half. I thought they were all done at halftime. I still wish it was Chelsea playing instead of the Merseysiders though!

Congrats to all the Liverpool fans out there!

Jeff

8. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Dude, I watch FSC 5 nights a week and GolTV the other two days! That's where I saw the FA cup replay. :)

9. I caught the end of the FA cup match last night on Fox and I left work early yesterday to watch the game on ESPN2. My wife hates the FSC! I watch as much as I can...

Jeff

10. I watched it, and must say I was very impressed.

People need to get off Dudek's grill though. It's not his fault the Milan shooters caved in to his antics.

11. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Weird, have you heard somebody criticizing Duded for his Grobbelaar like antics? That was an absolutely brilliant move to phsyche out his opponents like that.

12. AY it was a fantastic match!! AC milan outclasses liverpool in the 1st half and we were betting on a 5-0 win , but once Gerard scored the game turned around! , dudeks point blank range save in extra time was superb and i didnt beliveve that Andriy shevchenko would squander a penalty as he is one of the best strikers in the world , even the wobbly legs routine caught him out!! not to mention when alonso missed that penalty for liverpool in the 2nd half my heart sunk then he banged it in on the rebound we were singing!

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    He can dance and jump all he wants, he can even make a salto mortale if it helps him save the penalty, but he is not allowed to move off his line before the other player has made contact with the ball.

I'm on to this cause I lost some money here :spit: :D

14. Milan didn't deserve to play the Final. PSV was two times better in the semi final than Ac Milian.
    Ac Milan has always much luck. And Seedorf is one of the worst soccer players ever :)
    Im glad that Liverpool won.

15. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Actually, I was told by a former referee that Dudek was allowed to do this by the referee, as was Dida.......
    Don´t hold me on that, this is just what I was told....

16. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Hmmm, the rules must have changed then :eyebrow:

Imo Dida is a better (more consistent) keep than Dudec, and if he would have ran forward too, he would have stopped more penalties than Dudec, ergo, Milan won :D

17. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

Hehe! :D

You wish! :hyper:

In any case, this was a wonderful showcase of the sport of football. I´m sure that viewers all around the world were thrilled to have a six goal game when a heavy defensive game was expected.

18. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    So, does this mean that Liverpool is automaticly qualified for the next championsleague? There was some discussion about that, because Liverpool was 4th or 5th in the Premier League, and therefore didn't qualify for next season..

19. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Liverpool finished fifth, just outside a CL qualifying spot.

As the rules are today, the winners do not get an automatic qualifications, so they won´t be able to compete next year.

However, many heavyweights in the world of football are pressing FIFA to allow Liverpool to play next year. FIFA will have a meeting on june 15th to talk about this issue.
    So we just have to wait until then :)

20. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Chelsea should have made the final; Chech is my favorite keeper.

Lets just hope next Champions League has an equal exciting final as this one :)

I remember a final with München vs ...... that resulted in penalties too. Kahn kicked @ss then...well, he still does, too bad that on the WC he missed one ball...in the finals...through his legs.. :scowl: