1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Liverwurst

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by elgecko, Jan 2, 2017.

1. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    EDIT: I was actually looking for liverwurst "spread"

What's the deal? Is it really that obscure and/or ethnic?

I've been trying to cook a Filipino dish and the recipe calls for liverwurst. There always seemed to be a can of it around growing up but I struck out at three markets. I know I was in the right spot because I found the Underwood Deviled Ham and that's the same company that made the stuff my parents used to buy. I was especially surprised to not find it at ALDI, which is a German based chain and if I'm not mistaken, 'liverwurst' is derived from German. :eyebrow:
    underwood-deviled-ham-spread-63286.
    I finally found a can at an Asian market and that stuff was a Canadian import.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I hate all forms of liver except for liverwurst, for whatever it's worth. Didn't realize it had become hard to find, but I haven't tried in a while either. Any decent deli should carry it.

3. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I prefer Bratwurst, Braunswiger if u can find it.

4. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I've never known any supermarket deli counter that did not sell sliced liverwurst. My mom was buying it regularly.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I love liver and I love liver wurst although the wurst doesn't taste anything like liver to me. I've never had it in a can though. It's a sliced deli meat like any other. Kinda tastes like bologna but more livery and fatty and delicious.

6. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    ANYTHING with the word wurst especially at the end of it, I am NOT interested in.

7. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    I think braunschweiger is liverwurst.

From Wikipedia:
    In the United States, Braunschweiger refers to a type of liverwurst (pork liver sausage) which, if stuffed in natural casings, is nearly always smoked. Commercial products often contain smoked bacon, and are stuffed into fibrous casings.

The USDA requires that the product contain a minimum of 30% liver.[2]A typical commercial formula is about 40% pork liver or scalded beef liver, 30% scalded pork jowl, 20% lean pork trimmings and 10% bacon ends and pieces. Added seasonings include salt and often include white pepper, onion powder or chopped onion, and mace. Curing ingredients (sodium erythorbate and sodium nitrite) are optional.

Braunschweiger has a very high amount of vitamin A, iron, protein and fat. The meat has a very soft, spread-like texture and a distinctive spicy liver-based flavor, very similar to the Nordic leverpostej. It is usually used as a spread for toast, but can also be used as a filling for sandwiches, often paired with stone-ground mustard, sliced tomato, onion and cheese. In the Midwestern United States, braunschweiger is typically enjoyed in a sandwich with various condiments such as ketchup, mustard, and dill pickles, or simply spread on crackers. There are also a few recipes for pâté and cheese balls which use braunschweiger as a primary ingredient. Pâté is creamier than braunschweiger.

fretter, old spice and rufus.K like this.
  8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Oh, I hadn't thought of getting the "real" stuff. I was searching for the canned spread I grew up on. I'm guessing it'll work better for the recipe, which is a beef stew.

dsc_1464.

bholder likes this.
  9. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i used to find liverwurst or bratwurst near the baloney in the fridge section at all our local stores in a chub, not in a can.

BurnOut likes this.
  10. If not fresh sliced in the deli, you can usually find it in the hot dog/pre sliced cold cut area of the grocery store. Usually sold in about a 6" roll you have to slice yourself.

11. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Filipinos have a weird affinity for canned meat. I think it has something to do with being an island nation. Spam, corned beef, vienna sausage, and sardines in tomato sauce are all staples in Filipino kitchens.

12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

true!
    that's where i get it at the local kroger store. they have 3-4 different brands with varying degrees of softness/mushiness. but i see it in all stores, everywhere. it's ubiquitous!

good with a favorite cracker and some extra sharp chedder, IMO. :thumbsup:

pcake likes this.
  13. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I grew up eating braunsweiger sandwiches on white bread with mayo or mustard.
    This is the only way I will eat liver.
    As an organ,the liver is a filter, is it not?
    The thought of eating the filter grosses me out... but then I think of what casings are (intestines, which make poop) and I crave sausage. Yet somehow Braunswiger is appealing.

bholder likes this.
  14. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    I used to eat braunschweiger and onion sandwiches as a kid. I try to avoid organ meats nowadays. High in fat and cholesterol.

15. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    That's what I tell people who like liver. "So, do you eat your car's used oil filters, too?" :D But I'll still eat liverwurst, which is completely contradictory and nonsensical. Oh well.

Gaolee likes this.
  16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Oy, I gotta stay away from food threads for a while. Along with a few other major changes for the new year I have decided to eat a lot cleaner and healthier this year. So far today I have had a smoothie made from mostly raw ingredients with a little almond milk and scrambled eggs (no salt or butter) for protien....a handful of raw almonds.....a handful of organic not salted roasted cashews.... a small yogurt with no sugar added....and a metric ton of water. Suddenly all of the stuff you guys are talking about (which would have grossed me out yesterday) is appealing. :wideyed:

Please, carry on talking about.....meat.drool

drummer5359 likes this.
  17. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY

18. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Whenever it comes to sausage, you get what you pay for...

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I liked it as a youth, dislike it now.

20. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    IMG_0290.PNG Wow, I haven't had liverwurst in decades. Also didn't know its aka is braunschweiger. My dad used to make liverwurst sandwiches for us kids and I loved them.

This is how I remember liverwurst packaging.

nixdad and fretter like this.