1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Livin' on a Prayer

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by funnyfingers, Mar 5, 2013.

1. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    From here: http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/bon_jovi/livin_on_a_prayer_btab.htm

I am done learning it and it seems right on, except the main riff! I am playing it like this:

Code:
    ||----------------------------||
    ||o--------------------------o||
    ||o-----7-----5--7---------5-o||
    ||---0-----7--------0--7------||

Can anyone confirm this? Also in terms of technique, I am playing with my index finger on the A, my pinky on the higher E and my ring finger on the B.

2. cica

cica

Sep 18, 2012
    I started tinkering with this one the other night. I found this youtube video w/tabs:

He shows it as:

--------------------
    --------------------
    ----7---5--------5-
    --0---7---0-0-7---

Sounds ok.

3. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    How does what I wrote sound to you? I can really see me being wrong, but I think it just sounds good and probably what I will stick with...

4. cica

cica

Sep 18, 2012
    I slowed it down and listened to the recording. He's actually only doing:

--------------------
    --------------------
    ----7---5----7---5
    --0---7----0---7---

So, if you're going for accuracy, use that. You're hitting the right notes, so any of the 3 will work. It doesn't have to be exactly as it was recorded.

5. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    cica - Check out this one, it is exactly how I play it and I think he is doing as I wrote up at the top.

I watched the video you posted and it doesn't sound right. What do you think?

6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Respectfully, this is one bass line that actually DOES have to be played exactly as recorded. It's the signature lick to the entire song. I've seen several cover band bassists play this line incorrectly and it drives me nuts because it is not hard. The tab in Cica's first post (2nd overall) is right, the one immediately above is very wrong.

And FWIW I take the octave at 2nd fret D string and play everything in that position (with the D's on the open D stting) vs higher up on the neck. On my bass anyway it sounds better that way.

7. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    I did try it with the D string as well but didn't like it. I'll try to record something tomorrow to see what you think.